Chapter:17

Percy went with me to the hospital. Zach has been saying that we could try to recruit a doctor into the team. There's only three dogs here in Charleston looking for a team. I know the guys are cautious about how I'll take it. As long as the guy accepts me for me, I'll try to get to know him.

I spotted Jackson at the nurses' station in his pink scrubs. Always with the pink scrubs. It suits him. Percy nodded to whoever he was talking to before wrapping an arm around my shoulders leading me to a meeting room. I sat up on the counter as he leaned on it. "Don't worry doll. If this guy flat out says I don't want to work with a bird then we won't put you through getting to know him." Percy said.

He rubbed my back before kissing my temple. The door opened. Dr. Roberts and Dr. Green stepped in. "Morning Austin, Percy. He'll be here in a moment. I see you both are doing well." Dr. Roberts said. I nodded. "Well. Now I know your doing better than going to that school. Should have tried to help you get onto a dog team sooner." Dr. Roberts said.

I could tell Percy was tensing up beside me. "Well. That's over now. And since she's doing much better now than a year ago I'd say she did it on her own. With the help of the team that welcomed her in." Dr. Green said. "True." Dr. Roberts said. The door opened. A guy that looked in his late twenties stepped into the room. He first spotted me and stood across the room from me.

Not a good sign for me. "Any specific reason why a bird is here?" The guy asked. "She's apart of the team. If your not willing to work with her, then she will not even try to work with you. I've got four other dogs on my team that will be the same way." Percy said. "I think there are other teams looking for a doctoral position." The guy said before leaving.

Sometime during Percy's rant both Roberts and Green had left. Once the door was closed Percy turned to me. "Think I over did it?" He asked. I shook my head. "You know you can speak to me." He said. "I know." I said. He kissed my forehead. He was about to help me down when Jackson came in. "How'd it go?" He asked.

"He wasn't willing to work with a bird." Percy said. "The right one will come along. The other two, honestly, are willing to give a bird a try." Jackson said. "We'll give her some time between meeting them." Percy said. "Agreed." Jackson said before popping back out. "How about we go for lunch doll." Percy said. I nodded. He helped me down before wrapping me in his arms.

When he released me he kept one arm around me. "I'm sure one of the other two will join the team and get to know the others as well as us better." He said as he opened the door. We went out to the truck. He opened the passenger door for me before closing it once I was inside. He ran around to the driver side getting in.

"Mind if we go to West Ashely for lunch?" He asked. "Isn't that where we went after Jackson took me to nearly every store in the mall nearby?" I asked. "Correct, it's great to know which district, or part of Charleston your in at any given time." He said. We arrived at Bob's Diner about thirty minutes later.

He opened the door for me and got a two person outdoor table. "Order anything on the menu. I won't tell Matthew no matter how fatty it is." He said. I did just that. Well we both did. Then got dessert. Our waiter was the same blond guy from the first time. Once he was gone Percy told me which Academy team he was with. "It's not unusual here to talk about the Academy. This is after all, an Academy ran diner." He said.

I nodded. The waiter came back setting our plates in front of us. "Thank you Luke. Tell the team I said hello." Percy told him. "Will do." Luke said.