Unknown Side (16)

Unknown Side

      I woke to the a bright light.. At first I thought I was dead, cause you know, people see a bright light when they die. But I quickly dismissed that thought when I heard Lizzie’s voice.

      “Rick, that’s what I saw! I wouldn’t lie about that sort of thing! No, I wouldn’t lie period!” She hissed, her voice not sounding like her own.

      Hearing Rick sigh I could feel his weariness “Elizabeth, I know you wouldn’t lie. But you are going to have to about this. We can’t let her know-” He stopped, his voice trailing off almost.

      They both fell silent.

      It was then that it occurred to me that Rick was a mind reader and Lizzie could see the future. They knew I could hear them, so there was no chance in me finding out what they are hiding from me now.

      My head was still spinning, but the bright light that was splashed across my vision started to disappear and was soon replaced by a familiar sight of a hospital-like room. Its white tiled ceilings freakishly white, while the rest of the room appeared to be practically nothing. Beds, patients, nurses, doctors, everything you’d expect.

      And yet, I felt so out of place. Not in the right mind. I didn’t know what it was, but everything just felt as if it didn’t belong here.

      “This is the schools hospital Abi,.” Rick said, his voice calm and reassuring, different to his past weariness. “That’s probably why it seems odd; everything in here is an illusion, fitted to person’s interests and to where they believe they are meant to be at this time.”

      Lizzie smiled and squeezed my hand “It’s sort of like the room of requirement in Harry Potter.” She smiled more brightly, but the smile couldn’t reach her eyes.

      I watched her, my eyes looking into hers. Searching for the answers in them. But all I could see was emptiness. It was as if she was disconnecting herself from me. That was when I saw the small glimmer in her eye. A small glimmer of fear, a fear of me.

      Whatever she may know, I knew that how much I might want to know, that fear in my best friends eye was enough to tell me not to go looking.

      Suddenly Lizzie’s grip tightened on my hand, her nails pinching at my skin.

      I didn’t have enough time to ask her what the problem was until the problem walked right into the room. The dark eyed, wild haired, problematic Jasmine. But unlike her usual appearance whenever she saw me, there was no smirk on her face. Just…worry?

      Lizzie’s grip loosened and the glare she usually threw to Jasmine became weaker and was filled with confusion.

      “Your awake” She breathed, a deep exhale that made me wonder how long she’d been holding her breath. “I thought that you….I-I thought-” she stuttered, the usual cool composure breaking in to pieces.

      She sighed softly and dropped her gaze “I’m glad your OK Abi.”

      My jaw dropped.

      Was Jasmine….worried about me? I turned to Lizzie, sending her a telepathic message (obviously I don’t actually have telepathy but we’ve been working on it) to see if she knew what the hell was going on.

      Lizzie shrugged, clearly not knowing what was going on. But she was defiantly as confused and surprised to see Jasmine embarrassed and self-conscious.