Chapter 27:

"So is there a reason why we went out to buy all this string?" Emily questioned her boyfriend from her spot on the bed where she was sitting comfortably. After school was over, they had no choice but to go home since William Barrow wasn't there. Although she was positive that Lydia's senses weren't off. She had always been right up until now so she had no reason to mistrust her. "What do they even mean?"

He glanced back at her and the balls of yarn beside her

He glanced back at her and the balls of yarn beside her. "Oh, just different stages of the investigation." He had this idea to start a board and hoped that it might help. "So green is solved, yellow is to be determined, blue's just pretty."

She chuckled at the last color before her eyes fell on the red. There was only a little left. "What does red mean?"

Stiles licked his lips, "Unsolved."

Her brow raised, eyeing all the red all over the board. "You're using a lot of red." She pointed out, the board was mainly made up of red string.

"Yes, I'm aware. Thank you." He huffed sarcastically, hearing the tone in her voice.

Emily picked up the red string, there wasn't much left. "So you never told me. Exactly how much trouble are you in for pulling the fire alarm?" Before they could leave, Finstock had come back to give Stiles his punishment and Emily had been distracted by her best friend's distress over the murderer on the loose to hear.

"Detention. Every day this week." He could tell from the look on her face, she didn't look all that happy. "It's okay, though. We were onto something."

She sighed. "Even though we couldn't find any proof of Barrow being there?"

She recalled the strong smell of chemicals but she played it off as being from the science lab. There was also the humming that she had heard in Lydia's memories that still was at the forefront of her thoughts. It sounded familiar but she couldn't quite pinpoint it. It definitely wasn't flies that's for sure.

"Em, Lydia's been right every time something like this has happened, okay? You heard the same thing in her mind, right?" He reminded her. "So don't start doubting yourself now." He trusted her as well as Lydia when they said they heard something.

"No scent. No bomb. And you got in trouble."