Chapter 42:

"Okay, I'll ask

"Okay, I'll ask." Malia asked. They were currently following behind the mercenary known as Braeden who had saved Isaac from the twins a while back. The Calaveras hired the young woman to help them find Kate. "Who is Kate Argent?"

Emily was seated in between both teen males since she didn't want to be squished in the back with the three girls. She was sitting on the console and could feel Scooby stiffen beside her at the werecoyotes question. "Uh, I'd like to know, too." Kira asked hesitantly.

Stiles glanced at his best friend before looking back at the road ahead. "Well, we were at her funeral. So, I'd like to know how she got out of a casket that was buried six feet underground."

"She was never in it." Scott said, finding it unfair that Kate was alive while Allison died.

Lydia swallowed. "She was Allison's aunt. And a total sociopath."

Kira realized that they were being insensitive. "You don't have to talk about it now if you don't want to."

Malia gave her a weird look. "Um, yes, he does."

Scott sighed. "Yeah, she's right. You guys should know. You need to know."

"All right." Stiles started. "Kate was the one who set the fire that killed most of Derek's family."

Lydia frowned. "Some of them survived, like Cora, and Peter."

"A very angry, bitter Peter." Emily muttered.

Scott nodded. "Yeah, he's the one who bit and turned me."

"And the one who finally caught up to Kate and killed her." Lydia added, staring out the window.

Stiles furrowed his brows, recalling the funeral. "And we saw her buried."

"No. We saw a casket, remember? She wasn't in it." Scott reminded him. "The Calaveras heard that Kate had been killed by an Alpha's claws. They wanted to make sure she was really dead. Her body was healing. More and more, as she got closer to a full moon. She was coming back. So they switched out the bodies. If a hunter is bit, they have to take their own life before they change. The Calaveras, they treat the code like law. They make it their responsibility to enforce it."

Malia blinked. "Good for her. I wouldn't do it either."

Scott glanced back at her. "Would you kill half a dozen people to get out? Because that's what she did."

"So Kate's a werewolf now?" Kira asked curiously.

"I don't know." He frowned, gazing out the window. "You know, there's a saying, sometimes the shape you take reflects the person you are.

"What kind of shape is sociopathic bitch?" Lydia asked snarkily and Emily sent her an amused look. Suddenly something hit the jeep tire causing Stiles to come to an abrupt stop.