Chapter 8

Caitlyn's POV:

It couldn't get any more awkward. We sat on the floor in my bedroom, facing eachother, but not even speaking. He was on his phone, texting someone or something, while I just sat here, playing with my hair awkwardly.

"I'm leaving soon," Luke finally said, breaking the silence. "Calum's picking me up with Michael in about an hour." he informed me.

"Oh, okay." I said, and then carried on playing with my hair, while he stayed on his phone.

I suddenly heard his phone lock. I looked up at him and he was already looking at me.

"I don't know what you need help with for maths." I admitted.

He opened his mouth to speak, but my door opening interrupted him. The door hit his leg where he was sitting quite close to the door, and he quickly moved away from the door. I found it quite funny, but didn't laugh.

"Are you going to be having dinner, Luke?" my mum asked him.

"Erm, well my friends are picking me up in about an hour, so I don't really know." he said.

"Well it's ready now. It's just spaghetti bolognese." she told him and then smiled.

"I guess so then, if it's okay." he replied to her.

"Yeah, of course it's okay hun." she said. "Come down whenever you're ready then." she told the both of us, before closing the door and going back downstairs.

I looked over at Luke, chewing on my lip and then finally laughed.

"What?" he asked me.

"The door hit your leg, sorry, I found it funny." I said still laughing.

He laughed a bit but then gave me a weird look and then there was silence again.

"You don't have to eat here, I mean, if you were planning to eat out with Calum and Michael or-" I started to say.

"No, we never really eat out. I always have to wait until I get home to eat when I go out with them, so it's fine." he said, nodding his head.

'Not with me.' I thought to myself. "Shall we go downstairs then?" I asked, ignoring my thoughts.

Luke just nodded his head and got up, standing at the door. He waited for me to lead the way to the dining room, where four plates of spaghetti was set out on the table. My mum sat infront of a plate, as well as my five year old sister, Annabelle, who had spaghetti sauce all over her face. I sat opposite my mum, deciding that if I was sat facing Annabelle, she would put me off of my food.

"Take a seat, Luke." my mum told him with a smile.

When I turned around, Luke was making his way towards the empty seat next to me. He sat down and picked up his fork and started eating. Dinner couldn't get any more awkward. We all sat in silence eating, with Annabelle occsionally making a weird joke, or 'showing us how to eat', which was just her chewing loudly with her mouth open, getting food everywhere.

"Annabelle! Stop it!" my mum would keep saying to her, just making Annabelle giggle and carry on doing it.

Luke nervously laughed, and I looked over at him. His plate was near enough empty, with only a few pieces of pasta left on it.

"Can we go upstairs?" I asked my mum, just wanting to get away from the awkwardness this dinner has brought.

"Of course you can!" my mum said.

I just nodded, and then we started walking towards the stairs. When we got into my room, I sat where I was earlier, on the floor. This time, though, Luke sat down on my bed.