Chapter 35

Caitlyn's POV:

I walked around Luke's house, wondering how long he would be. It had already been quite a while, and I was getting worried. Luke could end up doing something and then they could just bully me even more. I didn't really have any worries about Luke getting hurt; Luke was in such a mood today that they probably wouldn't even be able to lay a finger on him. Then the more I thought about it, the more worried I started getting about everything.

Filling up another glass of water, I drank the whole glass and then sighed. My face was hurting quite a lot, but I haven't even looked at it yet. I know that I will see it at some point, but I'm scared that it will look too bad and that I won't be able to go home and walk past my parents. The fact that I forgot my house key doesn't really help my problem either, someone is going to have to open the door for me and I have no make-up to cover up my face, if I could even cover it.

After a while, I ended up walking into the bathroom, walking straight to the mirror. When I looked at my reflection, I looked awful. My face was covered in cuts and bruises, and I looked away and walked out of the bathroom straight away. There is no way I'm going to be able to go home looking like this, someone will see and make me tell them what happened.

My thought started going back to Luke, and he had been gone for over an hour. Chewing on my lip, I debated whether I should just go out and find him myself, but he would probably get more stressed if he came home and I wasn't here. So I sat back down at the counter, waiting for him to walk through the door.

What seemed like forever later, the door finally opened. I shot up from the chair, looking towards the door and seeing Luke. Just like I thought, Luke didn't have a scratch on him at all, and he walked straight towards me.

"You okay?" he asked me, looking at me and taking one of my hands in his.

"I am, are you? What happened?" I asked him, trying to work out what happened by his facial expression but not being able to.

Luke let go of my hand and shrugged, walking off into the kitchen. "Nothing. I had a go at them, but they weren't really angry at you for telling me, they were angrier at me. You don't have to worry about them doing anything Caitlyn, I won't let them. You know that I won't let them hurt you again don't you?"

"I know." I replied, nodding my head. Luke had stopped and turned around to look at me whilst he spoke to me in the kitchen, speaking so sincerely. Everything that he said, it made me wonder how I ever thought badly of him, because with or without the company of his friends, he's such a good person.

"Good. You don't deserve any of this." Luke told me, walking closer to me. He moved his hands up and rubbed his thumb over a cut on my face. "Does it still hurt a lot?"

"Not really." I lied, even though it did. They really sting, or just ache a lot.

Luke looked at me, pressing his lips together. Then he looked away a bit and started laughing.

"What?" I asked him, confused by his sudden change of expressions.

"Don't lie Caitlyn, I know that they'll still hurt. Stop trying to play tough." Luke said playfully, smiling at me.

"I'm obviously tougher than you then aren't I?" I replied, raising an eyebrow at him. He carried on smiling at me and then shook his head, pressing a quick kiss to my forehead.

_____________________

Somehow, I managed to sneak in without my parents seeing my face. Luke came up with a plan, and although he thought it would make him seem quite rude, he did it anyway. When my mum opened the door, he stood in front of me and quickly told me that he left something in my room the last time he came round. Then I followed closely behind him, quickly saying hello as I ran up the stairs.