Chapter 10

That night, Percy went to bed with a smile on her face

That night, Percy went to bed with a smile on her face. Today had been a great day; she got to see Kaldur again, she got to meet the Justice League, she got to see Orin and she got to eat blue cookies.

She climbed under the the plain white sheets on her bed and settled back on her plain white pillow. Slowly she drifted off to sleep.

Percy opened the door to her mother's apartment, apprehensively. A faint metallic smell hung in the air and everything was quiet.

She stepped inside and looked around. Her heart jumped into her mouth as she looked around. The sofa had been turned over and feathers were scattered around the room. The coffee table was smashed and there was ceramic shattered on the floor in a puddle of coffee.

"Mom?!" she called.

She followed the metallic scent that hung in the air. Stopping at the door to her mother and Paul's bedroom, she swallowed.

The metallic scent was strongest here.

"Mom?" said Percy, putting her hand on the handle. "Paul?"

Turning the handle, she slowly opened the door. Sally and Paul Blofis lay in their bed, the sheets stained crimson.

Sally's eyes were closed, her hand intertwined with Paul's. Her throat had been slashed open and there was a huge chunk taken out of her side. Percy could see the bite marks that littered her body.

Paul was missing an arm. Bone was visible where his stump was and his guts had spilled out of the claw marks on his torso.

Percy screamed.

•••

Kaldur jolted awake when he heard the screaming. Recognising it immediately as Percy, he ripped the covers off of himself and sprinted out of his room and down the corridor.

Reaching the door to Percy's room, he saw nearly everyone was standing there, rubbing their eyes sleepily.

"Get her to shut up!" cried Connor, holding his hands over his ears, whimpering. "Please!"

Kaldur hurried to the door and began banging his fist. "Percy!" he yelled. "Percy!"

But she continued to scream. He took a step back and then rammed his shoulder into the wood, forcing the wood to splinter and the door to swing open.

Percy was thrashing in her bed, screaming in Greek, tears streaking her face.

Kaldur ran to her side and pulled her into a tight hug, whispering soothing words.

She jolted awake when Cassie stepped forward, the broken wood crunching beneath her foot. She struggled to get out of Kaldur's hold, not recognising him. But Kaldur just tightened his grip, unfazed by the hits she landed.

"Percy!" he cried, getting her attention.

Percy looked at him, sobs racking her body. "It's all my fault!" she whispered, burying her face into his shoulder. "They wanted me. They're dead because of me."

Kaldur gestured for the team to leave, indicating that he could take care of her. "It's not your fault, Percy. None of it was your fault."

Percy didn't answer him as she continued to cry, eventually drifting off to sleep.

Kaldur stayed with her.