Chapter 11

Percy opened her eyes slowly

Percy opened her eyes slowly. She was in her bed, Kaldur's arms wrapped around her waist.

"Kal," she whispered. "Kal, wake up."

Kaldur murmured in his sleep and pulled Percy closer, his grip around her waist tightening.

Percy continued to try to wake him for the next five minutes. Eventually she gave up and yelled, "Kaldur'ahm!"

He jolted awake and looked down at her.

"Morning," she said sweetly.

"Morning," he smiled. "How're you feeling?"

"Crappy," said Percy. "Did I wake up everyone?"

"Not everyone," said Kaldur. "I think. But you may want to apologise to Connor."

Percy bit her lip and looked down.

Kaldur frowned. "Come on," he sighed, standing up. "It's pancake day. Maybe we can get M'gann to put blue food colouring in the batter."

Percy grinned and grabbed his hand, allowing him to lead her out into the corridor.

"What's this?" She asked, picking up a splintered piece of wood.

"Oh, I, uh." Kaldur rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "I had to break your door down."

Percy giggled. "I didn't know you were that strong."

Kaldur grinned.

In the kitchen, M'gann was mixing a large bowl of cake batter. Wally was eyeing the bowl.

"Good Morning," said M'gann, smiling at the two of them.

"Morning M'gann," said Percy, going to the fridge. She grabbed two bottles of water, tossing one to Kaldur and opening the other for herself.

"What happened last night?" asked Wally, looking at the green-eyed girl.

Percy grimaced. "Nightmare."

"Would it help to talk about it?" asked M'gann, beginning to make the pancakes.

Percy glanced over at Kaldur, who nodded reassuringly.

"Uh, my mom and step-dad," said Percy. "They, uh, they were killed a couple months ago. The police haven't found their killer."

"You found them?" asked M'gann, a concerned frown, marring her beautiful features.

Percy nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"Is this them?" asked Nightwing, coming into the kitchen and tossing a handful of photos onto the floor.

"Where did you get these?" asked Percy, staring at the photos of her parents.

"I hacked into the NYPD database," said Dick, crossing his arms. "Why does it say that someone called the police but there was no-one there when they arrived?"

Percy glared at him. He shivered slightly but hid it quickly.

"All of my friends have family issues," said Percy. "Some of them ran away from home, some of them were abused, some of them were put in the system. I spent the first twelve years of my life being abused by my Mom's first husband. I was not going to risk another experience like that."

Kaldur put his hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah," said Dick. "Gabe Ugliano, wasn't it? Records say he went missing a few years ago. Any idea what happened to him?"

"He ran off with my Dad's ex-girlfriend," said Percy, non-chalantly, turning to grab some plates from the cupboard.

Kaldur snorted.

"What?" asked Percy, looking at him innocently. "It's true."

"Right," said Kaldur. "Dick, would you like some pancakes? M'gann made them."

Dick sighed, then nodded his head. "Please."

They all sat down at the table, each with a plate of pancakes.

Percy grabbed the syrup, and began pouring it over her plate.

"Percy," Kaldur sighed. "Your going to drown them."

Percy smirked at him. "I can't drown and neither can my pancakes."