Dropping By

The first week of class was over and my roommate was mocking the fact I already had gotten most of my books

"Oh yeah I'm definitely going to drop the math this semester. Plus I really should decide soon whether I want to pursue psychology or art history." My roommate talked about her classes.

"Wait you're going to drop classes?"

"Yeah today is the last day to do so. Most people sign up for a bunch of classes and then drop a few."

"Oh..." I didn't realize this was a choice since I had only signed up for what I needed and I couldn't even think of dropping them.

"Well I'm going to go look around for a job." I said picking up my bag to go out too. "I need to find something part-time so let me know if you know about anything."

"Wait why do you need a part time job?" She sounded baffled and I just chuckled.

"See you later," I waved at her and left the dorm.

It was a Monday after class and I had written down a couple of spots I'd seen to talk about employment. I figured seeing my face might help me get a job. But unfortunately most people only took down my number and said they'd call for an interview. I had walked for hours at this point, going to Starbucks, big restaurants, and holes in the walls. Some of them clearly thought I was too young when I mentioned being a freshman in NYU. 

"Well it's just the first day..." I said without losing hope to myself.

"Hey you following me?" James said coming out of a deli with a gorgeous pink salmon bagel and cream cheese drooping from the sides. 

"Um?" I questioned what he'd said after being blinded by the bagel.

"Are you following me?"

"No. That's such a weird question."

"You've walked into the past two stores I've walked in."

"Oh I didn't see you."

"I guess you're no Kathleen Harvey."

"So you'd rather if I was stalking you?"

"Having my own stalker has a nice ring to it."

"Sorry to disappoint. Promise it won't be the first time."

"Nor the last," he said something strange again.

"You do seem to have good taste in food so where did you get the pizza from the other day?"

"Oh it's called Joe's Pizza. Scarr's is good too."

"Joe's Pizza and Scarr's," I opened my notebook and wrote it down. "Thanks. See you." I waved at him.

"Hey I can walk you there! It's day time!"

"I'm in a hurry though!" I said and he ran over to me.

James walked me over to the pizzeria and I bought the lunch; pizza and soda.