New Year New Me

Before dinner Adam did not try to talk to me but everywhere I was he was there not more than a couple of steps in the distance

Before dinner Adam did not try to talk to me but everywhere I was he was there not more than a couple of steps in the distance. I began to think he would talk but he didn't and we were called to sit for dinner. Thankfully we sat on opposite sides of the table but we were in front of each other and I kept thinking I was catching the back end of his stares. Or maybe he was driving me crazy again...

"Oh no I love it there. It's a different place altogether. It doesn't really matter who I am in class. If my designs suck the teachers give me no slack. The only thing I didn't expect was how much time out of class I'd have to spend on my own creating these assignments we have." Jenna explained about her college while also making it a point to tease Rachel's preferential treatment in Huntswood. "So how do you like Penn State so far?"

"It's great. A little cold. But I got to buy some more coats."

"What about friends?" Jenna pressed her and Rachel smiled coyly which she never did, she wasn't as bold as before.

"It's only been three months. I wouldn't call anyone I've met for only three months my friend. Plus I didn't want to show off connections in order to make them," Rachel replied as if any of us would believe her.

"You're right people should like you for who you are," Jenna's mom agreed oblivious like every other parent to the little demon Rachel had always been.

"So you're all in the city?" Adam asked.

"Yes. All of us," Jenna answered and Sam shook her head while eating.

"Where?" He asked specifically.

"Columbia, FIT, NYU. You?"

"Columbia."

"Wow, who would've thought." Jenna said and her mom made a face at her. "For what? I don't remember you telling us what you wanted to do."

"Business." He said and I almost lost it when he said it, from who I knew Adam to be I didn't understand how I had ever presumed to know him at all.

"Business?" Sam asked just as surprised.

"And you?" He asked straight to me.

"Business, minor in music."

"That's cool," he nodded with a smirk and my anger boiled up to surface against him.

Dinner finally came to an end but the lingering for dessert, and drinks began. I grabbed another eggnog because it had been three hours of Adam for the night. For a breather I got away to one of the furthest bathrooms away from the dinner but when I came out he was outside. We locked eyes but I didn't say anything and when I moved to walk away he grabbed my arm. I didn't say anything even though I could have screamed at him right there and then and his words didn't come out right away.

"Your hair," he said. "It's lighter."

"Yes."

"So where exactly are you dorming?"