A Mile In Your Shoes

The next day I showed up for the interview half and hour early to state the fact I was not a late runner

The next day I showed up for the interview half and hour early to state the fact I was not a late runner. This is probably what started off me in a good light. It was quite short after I mentioned how many years I'd be working as a server. Then the manager asked me to read the menu which thankfully to Jeremy I was able to. I never thought French classes would come in handy so quickly. 

"So can you start tomorrow at 4pm?"

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Of course I'll be here! Thank you sir."

"See you then."

It was nothing short of a gift from the heavens that I had gotten a job so quickly. If this was Huntswood it would have been months before I could find another one. Yet here I was employed once again and at a place I would never have pitched myself to if I wasn't desperate. Hopeful I imagined the kind of money I'd be able to earn at my new job so I got ready to work quite enthusiastically since at least my first week I wouldn't have started school again just yet.

The environment was definitely a little more tense as the briefing was about best wine pairings for the food and they quizzed the staff on it. They briefed how many reservations for dinner and those assigned for those tables. I would be getting trained before they left me to my own devices which I was thankful since I had no experience yet with fine dining.

The first night was good since I didn't have to jump in to any chit chat just yet. The second night I realized I'd need better pair of shoes to wear to work since my heels were digging in. The third night James wanted to see me but I had to put him off until I was feeling better. My feet and leg were in so much pain and only then I realized running back and forth between the long hallways of the restaurant and the kitchen was the cause. 

"Hey someone's knocking," my roommate said but it was past midnight already.

"I know. Could you get that please? I'm beat." I asked her laying in bed with my legs against the wall wrapped with ice around them.

"I'm telling you just quit," she said to me on her way to get the door.

"Not an option," I replied and when she opened the door it was James.

"James?" I asked surprised he was there so late.

"What are you doing?" He asked surprised too but for other reasons.

"I'm just uh..." I got out of my position trying to untie the bags of ice around my feet.

"Her new job sucks and she won't admit it," my roommate said.

"What do they have you doing there anyway?" He came to see my feet and I took it away.

"Guys don't be so dramatic. I just need better shoes. I'll buy one when I get my first paycheck." I said.

"No, you can't go back to this job," James was adamant.

"Yeah I second that. There's no way anything is worth this pain."