Study Buddies

Midterms were around the corner and I was living in the library breathing in coffee the way so many breathed in a whole other level of smoke

"Do you really never drink coffee anywhere else other than here?" My roommate asked me as I made my cup to take with me.

"Never. There's no need. This right here is magic." 

"Well I get my magic from a store so see ya later."

"See ya. And again if you wanna study together..."

"Yeah, yeah, I know where you'll be nerd." My roommate made fun of me. 

We didn't hang out much, but we were cordial. We shared meals, did some homework together although she didn't seem to care much about school work. She was involved in clubs, anything creative, she was the most social quiet person I'd ever met. She knew so many people that she barely spent any time at the dorm yet she wasn't much of a talker.

A knock on the door and I thought she must have forgotten her key.

"Did you forget your... key?" I said seeing James in front of my door.

"James?"

"Hm you still remember my name."

"What are you doing here?"

"Oh one of my friends wanted your friend's number. And since we don't have each other's number..."

"You volunteered. How benevolent. I'll make sure you're the next one to be canonized by the church."

"Hey miracles happen every day."

"I'm sure they do for you." I rolled my eyes and he passed by me and went inside my room.

"Really we're back to the upstairs downstairs debate."

"Hey I never called you in."

"How rude of you," he walked in looking around.

"Look I don't even know if I'm allowed to give my friend's number so you wasted your time coming all the way..."

"It smells good in here." He asked already taking a sip of my coffee.

"Hey that's mine!" I complained I didn't want to drink from the same cup he had especially if he had made out with the girl from the party the other day. But he continued to sip on it so I gave up on it.

"What's the brand?"

"It's a family recipe."

"Why were you making coffee when you seem ready to go out anyway? Or did you just get in?"

"The cup of coffee was to help me study at the library."

"You actually study at the library what is this the 70s?"

"Oh wow you don't study at the library what a shocker? Who do you pay to do your work for you?"

"Why? Interested in making a buck?"