I'll Be Home For Christmas

All the window displays, the decorations, the trees, everywhere I looked my eyes twinkled from the Christmas lights

All the window displays, the decorations, the trees, everywhere I looked my eyes twinkled from the Christmas lights. It was truly a season like none other but here was where Christmas wishes came true. I could scarcely believe anywhere else in the world could ever be as beautiful than New York at Christmas. And maybe Santa had thought I'd been a good girl because Jenna even found me a job. I would have enough saved up to go home for Christmas with small tokens for everyone I just had to do away with my pride to hold on to this job but it would all be worth it come Christmas.

"Well, well, well if it isn't my favorite working elf." James came strolling in to the store with his guy friends.

"Hi my name is Emmy, I'm elfing happy to help you, what would you like this Christmas?" I said our greeting professionally yet not friendly.

"Do I get to sit on your lap to make my wish or how does this work?" One of his guy friends leaned in to ask me.

"And yet the lack of content still amazes me," I sighed and James caught on to the comment.

"Sorry but he's a lost cause." James apologized.

"Can I interest you in our polar coffee?" I offered the special.

"Um... No for me. Anyone want coffee?" He asked them and they all shook their heads. "Right. So hot chocolate with marshmallows and snap ginger cookies all around. Lactose free for my buddy Killian, it's how he keeps his face mildly pretty." He ordered.

"Mildly indeed." I mumbled.

"What did she say?" One of them asked.

"So 4 orders one lactose free?" I asked.

"Yep, that covers it."

"It'll be out in less than 10 minutes. Thank you for your order and Merry Christmas."

"No Happy Holidays?" He asked me with his amused little smile.

"What?"

"Thanks for the help." He tipped me $200 bucks and as soon as I opened my mouth another customer walked up to me.

"Excuse me I'll be right back, just a minute" I said to the customer.

"No! I don't have a minute to spare! I'm running late to a very important meeting and I swear I'm going to kill at least half my team because they're all useless! Just incredibly useless. What are they even getting paid to do at this point?"

"Never mind. It's fine," I smiled politely because I didn't want to get fired from this job. The tips were good especially with the holidays. But James wasn't looking at me in order for me to tell him he shouldn't have done that. 

I didn't need his charity. Not after what happened between us. I didn't want him to feel like I needed to be adopted by him because of my lack of money. No matter how nicely he meant it. I wanted to stand by my principle. Yet his order came out all too quickly so I didn't get the chance to give him back his money.