Bottles On The Wall

Still I stared at James standing right there as if every conversation I had today was coming to haunt me

Still I stared at James standing right there as if every conversation I had today was coming to haunt me. Something went wrong in my head because I opened the door and let him in. I placed the box on top of a tiny table we had by the entrance without saying anything to get my shoes off. Then I began to take out my coat and he helped me out of it. 

"Thank you. You can place yours here," I showed him the rack we had for all our jackets.

"I see you got some pizza there."

"Oh yeah, please help yourself."

"So you took my recommendation?" He asked opening up the pizza box.

"I wanted to celebrate being done with my midterms."

"Perfect night to open this then" he showed me the utensil he had brought.

"Weren't you going away for the weekend?"

"I finished my midterms early. And one day out in the Hamptons in the dead of fall was enough to make me come crawling back."

"Hamptons? Where's that?"

"It doesn't matter," he did that thing where he laughed at me without laughing, his little huff.

"Is the pizza still warm? If not I can heat it up."

"It's fine, just get me some cups will you?" He stopped me from going out the door by using his hand to just slightly touch the side of my hip while making eye contact with me. I lost my poker face again which I had momentarily regained. Then Sam's conversation rushed to the forefront of my brain.

"Um hm," I nodded and went to get the cups I had brought from grandma's. "This will have to do."

"So congratulations on surviving your midterms," the wine was already opened and being poured into the cups.

"Thank you." I cheered with him and we both drank. "This is really good."

"It better be for about a grand or so."

"A what?!" I almost spilled it out and got up at once to put it down. 

"It's a joke. I just wanted to see your face do that deer in the headlights thing."

"Stop it. It's not funny," I let out a grumbling smile from his joke and sat back down although I was still unsure if it was a joke or not.

"So you're just hanging out in your dorm all alone on a Friday night with pizza? Where's your roommate, Samantha, Jenna?"

"The kettle said to the pot."

"You're the subject not me."

"Well I don't really know anyone else. Sam studies more than me. Jenna is the social one. Either way I don't mind staying in with a pizza. Now changing the subject while maintaining the predicate. What's your excuse?"