16. Natalie's (Ex) Love Story

Natalie's POV

"Alex. Alex was my first boyfriend. Our relationship had started long back in mid-ninth grade. I wouldn't deny that he was my crush the moment I had seen him and I guess, you could say that for him, too."

I was aware of the fact that I would soon lose myself in the trance. From my peripheral vision, I noticed how focussed Ashton was. He was listening to every word that I spoke with seriousness and I couldn't feel any better.

"Andrew was Alex's best buddy, or best dudes to each other, as they referred to themselves. We would hang out together most of the times - Char, Steve, Andrew, Alex and I. Steve wouldn't be there sometimes because of his soccer practise and matches here and there. We had formed a group anyone would be envy of. Alex and I were going so strong.

No one knew Andrew was any time jealous of Alex. I wouldn't say that he hated him. Hate is a strong word. He disliked him sometimes. Alex was perfect in studies, sports, looks and most importantly as a person. I loved him so much and we had somewhere thought that this could get serious if we tried. Alex just had one thing missing in his life - the love from his parents. They never loved him. In fact, for them Alex was a mistake. His dad was a drunkard and you could spot him in some shit corner of the bar or the street. His mother had innumerable affairs just so she could distract herself from the broken marriage. His dad never agreed to get divorced.

Andrew tried to bring Alex down in many ways which we hadn't noticed then but he would fail every time. Alex trusted Andrew so much that he never doubted him. Char had, on few occasions, told me that she didn't think Andrew's intentions were true to his outer self but Steve and I would always accuse her of stealing Andrew's thunder. We all trusted Andrew. He was the one who kept our group alive and cheerful with his stupid, lame jokes and mimicry.

One day, when Alex reached home, he saw his dad lying in a pool of blood in his room. He had panicked so bad that he didn't realise when he had all the blood on his hand and shirt. He hadn't had the courage to phone anyone. He was so much in shock, not because it was his dad who was murdered but because he had seen a dead body and so much blood for the first time in his life. When his mom came, she saw him deadpanned, staring at the pale body of his dad. She had got a perfect reason to disown her son, to get rid of him.

She secretly called the cops accusing her own son of the homicide of her husband. There was no other stuff that they could find and hence, Alex was the only suspect. Fortunately, Alex's uncle was a lawyer and he had great relations with him. He was more like a father to him. From the very childhood of Alex, it was Alex's uncle's family who had been more like his family after they came to know the situation here. They had no child then. His uncle fought the case for him. It had been tough.

Firstly, it was his own mother who had accused him of the murder. Secondly, Andrew was questioned about the behaviour of Alex around the school and friends. This all had happened when Char and I were off to a trip to Hawaii with our parents. Andrew said the exact opposite of how Alex really was. He even said that Alex had tried to attack many guys at school due to his anger. He accused him of not being able to control his anger. I couldn't imagine what Alex would have felt at that very moment. My heart still aches thinking about it.

Finally, they won the case. It was some gang from whom his dad had loaned the money and hadn't returned back even after several warnings. They were finally arrested and Alex was proved not guilty of anything. His mom disappeared as soon as the case was closed. No one knows if she's even alive or not. Alex's uncle adopted him and they shifted to Los Angeles. We had to break up. We had to be away from each other. It was painful. It is, still. After that we never talked, not on any social media, not on calls. I tried reaching him a few times but never really reached. It was tough without him.