21. All-rounder Ashton

The song mentioned in the chapter is One and Only by Adele. Play the video above while reading the chapter.♡

***

Natalie's POV

“Here I come, ma'am. A special spaghetti Bolognese with Caesar salad, all for you.” The perfect chef, Ashton Kingsley trod around the kitchen island towards my jaded, weak form sitting uncomfortably on the small stool, with the sprained ankle resting on the lower thigh of the other leg, my hands constantly pressing it, as if it was a dough.

The stool was just kept before the granite platform on which Ashton had now jumped on, folding his hands, anticipation boiling on his perfect facial features, handing me the beautifully served dish. It took him just around an hour to get everything done.

To entertain him while cooking, I had brought down the guitar with me. The look on his face was worth recording. His jaws were dropped, eyes wide, staring at my guitar. Apparently, he always wanted to learn to play guitar and I promised that I would teach him one day.

“Hey, now that you're cooking for me, I think I should do something for you, too. So, tell me what should I play for you?” I asked the concentrated Ash as he moved around the kitchen, collecting the things from all over.

“My all-time favourite has just been this one song by Adele - One And Only --”

“Are you kidding me?! It's one of my favourites, too. And I have played it like a hundred times. Whenever I feel down or something, I play songs and this one is always on the top.” I almost squealed. If I would have continued any longer, Ashton’s ears would've started bleeding.

“Can't agree more, little screamer. I literally listen to it all day. It's been my favourite ever since the first time I heard it,” he said.

Ignoring, the new nickname that I had qualified for, I stared at Ashton for a few seconds before positioning my guitar on my sore legs, wondering how badly I wanted to dedicate it to him, and tell him how it could be our song, one day.

You've been on my mind
I grow fonder every day
Lose myself in time
Just thinking of your face
God only knows why it's taken me
So long to let my doubts go
You're the only one that I want
I don't know why I'm scared
I've been here before
Every feeling, every word
I've imagined it all
You'll never know if you never try
To forget your past and simply be mine
I dare you to let me be your, your one and only
I promise I'm worthy
To hold in your arms
So come on and give me the chance
To prove I am the one who can walk that mile
Until the end starts…

“Come on, lost girl. Taste it.” That song was still playing in my mind.

Mom had actually bought beef because she wanted to cook this new recipe that she had learnt from her colleague at the hospital, but Ashton had already taken it out and I didn't really want to tell him. I was more than excited only knowing that he was cooking for me.

And he was the cleanest guy I had ever met. There wasn't a spot on the platform after he was done. He actually cleaned everything as soon as he was done with the plating. I swear, I would have messed up not only the kitchen but the whole house by dropping things here and there. He was straight away disciplined, obedient, and what every mom expects her child to be. I wondered where he got it from. He was different. He was Ashton.

“This is so yum, oh, my God, Ash! Why didn't I find you any earlier!” He broke into a grin, which later transformed into a kissable smug. He jumped down from the platform, fetched the fork as he dug into the plate.