The Fourth Letter

Another AU!!

Enjoy!!!

////////////////////////////////////////////

*19th century, Day 1*

Ezra's P.O.V

   I remember having dreary  and cold weather. The same feeling as my small, sad town. People were out walking all around doing work. The woman doing laundry with their daughters, men carrying weapons and talking about their latest hunt, and boy's running around playing games.

   Me, I was standing in the middle of the muddy road gripping my favorite stuffed animal. I wore brown ragged clothes with an even darker brown coat, shoes and hat. I was watching a horse drawn carriage that had my parents in it being taken off to somewhere.

   I just couldn't figure out why they left in such a hurry and without me. They didn't say where they were going but promised to send letters home.

   One of the neighbor women Hera, I think her name was, was watching me until my parents return. It was very generous of Miss Hera to watch me for a couple of weeks but like every sitter of mine always leaves right after. My parents didn't have a very good reputation in this small town. People always spread rumors about my family and wondered what we were up too.

   My parent's disappearances off to somewhere always gave people suspicions of what they were planning. They wonder why they always leave their son to be taken care of by a sitter. And that I have something to do with their plan. I never listened to the rumors.

   My family is as normal as normal can be. Even if I rarely see my parents and left alone to do my own things. I'm not any average nine-year old.

   My papa says I'm very smart for my age. A prodigy in the making, my mother would reply. I agreed with them and innocently smiled, not quite sure what prodigy meant. But, I still went with it as a good thing. They were proud of me that moment and it's those times that I savor before seeing them head off once again.

   "Ezra, lunch is ready," Miss Hera called. I turned and walked towards my home, dragging the stuffed bear my mother made.

   Miss Hera closed the door once I walked inside the house. In the kitchen, there were two wooden plates with bread and some meat. Two wooden cups sat next to the plates filled with water. I took a seat at one of the plates setting my bear next to me. Hera sat across at the table at the other plate. We silently ate our food with only the clanks of our cups and chomping of food filling the air with sound.

   "So, Ezra..." she began. I looked up with curiosity still some chewing the bread.

   "What do you do around here for fun?"

   I took a moment to let the question soak in then swallowed my food. I shrugged shyly. She smiled at me, taking the empty plates and cups.

   "I know a fun game if you want to play," Miss Hera offered. I was surprised by this. She wasn't going to make up an excuse to leave? To get away from this house to later return for the promised money? Threaten me not to say a word about her absence?

   I smiled a bit and nodded. Hopping off the seat and grabbing my bear, I followed Miss Hera to the other room.

*Day 6*

   Miss Hera was washing dishes in the kitchen while I played with my bear. She is the best sitter I've ever had and recently, I've even spoken to her a little bit. I was still a nervous that she was going to leave while my guard was down but it has slowly began to fade away.

   A knock on the door caught our attention. Miss Hera wiped her hands dry and walked towards the door. I hid behind the wall, peeking out slightly to see who was at the door.