Chapter 9: Hawk Moth Wins

(Marinette's POV)

As we enter Gabriel's room, he sits in a big thick leather chair with a desk in front of him and mentions us to sit down in a dark blue couch.

We obeyed.

Before one of us spoke, I had noticed that Cat Noir was amazed by this room. I'm not sure why. It was a room no bigger than a regular bedroom, with pictures hung on the wall of Gabriel's family and a desk, with a butterfly logo on it, with a couch. That's about it.

"I heard you wanted to talk to me about something... Important." Gabriel finally says.

I clear my throat. "Actually, yes. We wanted to just ask some questions if you don't mind." I smile.

"Go ahead."

I am so nervous.

"Why do you always stay in and never leave your home?"

"Because I do not want to interfere with the dangerous world. Which is why I didn't want my son to go to school."

But he allowed his son to be captured by a gorilla, on top of a 30+ story building.

I hid my annoyance.

"Okay. Next question." I clear my throat again. "Why do you..." Should I ask this? It's now or never.

"Why do you have butterfly symbols all around your house?" Cat Noir faces me with wide eyes, and I see Gabriel has lost himself for a second.

"I- uh, I was always interested in butterflies since I was a child. My mother loved animals and butterflies. So, to remind me of her, I keep it all around my house." He clears his throat at looks at me in the eye. I try my best not to squirm.

"Okay. That's sweet of you. Last question. Cat Noir? Would you like to do the honors?" I look at him and wink without Gabriel seeing.

"Gladly, M'lady. Gabriel Agreste, why do you act as if you do not love your son?" I look at Cat Noir. He looks mad as he folds his arms over his chest.

"Cat Noir! That's insulting!" I say.

Gabriel, on the other hand, looks a mixture of shock and pure anger.

"I'd advise you NOT to get into my business about me and my son. If I didn't love him, I wouldn't keep him safe. It is not of your concern about how I treat my son. I may not show affection but I care for him dearly." His face was practically making heat radiate off of him.

Cat Noir just grunts and looks away. "I'm sorry, excuse Cat Noir's behavior, Mr. Agreste. He hasn't been himself lately." I glare at Cat Noir.

"Um, Mr. Agreste, if you don't mind, can we have a look around your house?" I ask him. He stays quite then finally nods.

I smile at him and stand up. He and CN (I'm going to refer to Cat Noir as CN a lot now btw) stood up and Gabriel opens the door. I walk out and look around.

I walk down the stairs and follow Cat Noir to a room with a huge painting of Emilie Agreste, Gabriel's wife, hanging on the wall. Cat Noir examines it, then was about to touch it when a voice interrupted his actions.

"Please don't touch that painting. I don't want anything happening to it. This is my favorite." The voice belonged to Gabriel.

If you don't remember that painting of Emilie has a button allowing him to go into his lair.

I turned around to see him standing in the doorway. CN turned around also, surprised.

"Why, or are your hiding something there? Why don't you-"