Light in the Hallway

Hey guys!  How's life? :P

Anyway, I had this idea to write a story in which Marinette and Adrien become friends and he falls for her civilian self.

So this one-shot preceeds A Black Umbrella and explains the story of Mari and Adrien's friendship and oblivious love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Adrien asked his father if Marinette, Alya, and Nino could have a sleepover with him, he had not expected his father to say yes.  Nor did he expect Gabriel to agree to hold it in their mansion.  But he wasn't going to complain.  After all, Gabriel and Nathalie would be gone on a business trip, so they would have the whole house to themselves.

So that evening, after Adrien's father had already left, his three friends came over to his mansion with all their stuff and pajamas, Nino with a box of pizza, Marinette with some cookies and crossoints from the bakery, and Alya with a couple of movies.

As they entered the Agreste residence, Nino said, "Dude, I can't believe your old man is letting us stay over when he isn't here.  He wouldn't even let you have a birthday party!"

Adrien chuckled, "I know, right? It was actually kind of because of Marinette."

"W-what, me?"

"Yep! He wasn't going to agree at first; he didn't want let the 'rude dj' or the 'reckless blogger' sleep over, but when I told him about you, he said he remembered you from the derby hat contest and had actually seen a lot of your designs at some really important parties.  He said he liked the way you were clever and firm enough to expose Chloe, but still stayed polite.  He told me that he thinks you're really talented and might even give you an internship when the summer rolls around!" Adrien grinned at the bluenette, whose mouth was slightly open at this point. 

"Girl, this is amazing for your career! I'm so happy for you! You're going to be great!" Alya said pulling on Marinette's high ponytail in excitement.  She had let her hair get longer and was more open to other hairstyles, though she still wore her pigtails from time to time.

Marinette smiled and laughed, "Thanks Al, but tonight let's forget about work or the future.  Now it's time to have some fun!" She grinned and put her arms across Alya and Adrien's shoulders, as Alya did the same to her and Nino, who put his right arm around Alya's waist.  Marinette almost fainted when she felt Adrien put his left arm around her waist, the warmth in his hand burning her skin through her halter top and making her blush a bit.  Luckily her friends didn't notice her reaction, but what she didn't know was that Adrien, much to his surprise, went through the same reaction when he felt her soft, warm hand on his shoulder.

However, at that moment, they entered his room and noticed the queen bed that had been put in where his fooseball table had been before.  "Whoa, is that for us? Dude, we brought our sleeping bags you know!" 

"Well I didn't think I'd feel right if you guys slept on those while I'd be in a bed, so my father put in an extra bed because he didn't want to me to sleep on 'that uncomfortable thing.'"

Alya and Nino went to put their stuff away. "That was sweet of you, to want to do that for us.  And say what you will, but I think your father still cares about you.  He just doesn't know how to show it." Marinette said, smiling gently as Adrien smiled right back.

"Thanks Mari.  You're really awesome, you know that?"

"Well, I try," she joked and they both laughed.

"Hey lovebirds! Hurry up and get over here, Nino went to change already."

"Oh, shut up! And where am I supposed to sleep if you sleep with Nino?" Marinette asked, noticing his stuff with the bloggers on the extra bed.