Weak And Strong

"Adrien, watch out!"

Someone shoved him into his bodyguard's car. Dozens of sounds engulfed him from behind.

The blaring of car horns. Panicked shouting. A loud thud.

Then silence. Shocked, tense silence.

Adrien turned around. And his heart dropped at the sight of his friend. Unconscious. Bleeding slightly. Laying on the road in front of a car.

A car that had been about to hit him. That was supposed to hit him.

But it didn't. It hit someone else.

"Marinette?" He choked out.

But why did it have to be her?

"Marinette!"

~~~~~~

Alya felt like she was in a trance. Like she was watching Adrien leaning over an unconscious Marinette through a stranger's eyes.

She couldn't make out the panicked shouts that he directed at the Gorilla and Nathalie. Not over the roaring in her ears. She barely even registered Nathalie pulling out her phone to make a call.

She ran towards her friends, heart thundering. And stopped as she grew closer to Marinette and beheld her friend. The closed eyes, the open mouth, the almost imperceptible rise and fall of her chest. And the trickle of blood spreading from her head.

A small amount, but it was still blood.

Alya's knees buckled slightly, but a steady hand gripped her waist to support her. The flash of a red cap and the deep, heavy sound of his breathing told her who it was.

It also told her she wasn't the only one in shock.

Two minutes later— two painfully long minutes— an ambulance arrived.

She saw them pull Marinette on to a stretcher and pull her in. She saw Adrien shoot a desperate glance at Nathalie, receive a gentle nod in return, and then climb into the ambulance.

"Where are her parents?" One of the hospital staff asked Adrien.

She started talking before she realized she was doing so. "They live in that bakery over there. Marinette is my best friend." She couldn't bring herself to look at the stretcher. And knew that at her side, Nino could read every single one of the emotions biting at her.

She swallowed, but Nino spoke for her. "Mari is my friend, too. I'm Nino and this is Alya. We'll go get her parents. Go on ahead."

The doors closed. And the ambulance took off.

So Alya grabbed Nino by the hand and pulled him towards the bakery.

~~~~~

The constant, empty silence of the house unnerved Nathalie.

A silence that seemed so loud, a silence that made her heels click on the floor. A silence that never failed to darken her mood.

She kept reliving that awful moment. Kept seeing Adrien's shocked face, seeing the blood on the ground.

She had never known Marinette Dupain-Cheng all that well. However, she had seemed like a sweet, quiet, fierce kind of girl. She could understand why Adrien cared about her so much.

But she had never before seen anyone do the likes of what Marinette had done, not even Emilie. Marinette clearly had a heart of gold.

Nathalie opened the door to Gabriel's office.