Protection Detail

When Adrien and Marinette discovered each others' identities, there was an awkwardness between them for a few weeks. It wasn't that they were avoiding each other by any means, they just had no idea how to act around each other. After all, Marinette and Adrien had become close over the years and had come to consider each other best friends with— though neither had ever mentioned it out loud— the obvious potential for more, but that friendship was quite a bit different from Cat Noir and Ladybug's competitive, comfortable partnership.

So, naturally, it took them a while to readjust their interactions to now fit in the full picture of their relationship. And although it could be seen from a mile away how much they cared about each other, they didn't dive straight into a romantic relationship. They didn't label themselves as anything more or less than what they were: partners. Because with all of the extra drama surrounding them, they didn't want to navigate a relationship with that. They were perfectly fine to let their feelings be known and take it slow. They agreed that they would keep hanging out as they always had and let things happen when they did. They didn't deny their feelings to their eagle-eyed friends, nor to each other, but they both agreed that they would take their time and let things run their course on it own. And when one of them took a step forward to close the distance just a bit more, neither would take a step back, not like they always had before, not now that they knew all of each other in a way that perhaps no one else ever really would.

After all, when they (and anyone who spent more than five seconds with the two together) knew in their hearts they'd always be side by side, who could even acknowledge the notion that either of them would so much as consider a relationship with someone else? Or even have a chance of developing feelings for somebody else? Or wouldn't realize that, with their fondness for each other, Adrien and Marinette would step up for the other every single time without hesitation?

It was too bad that some of those idiotic people did exist after all.

~~~~~~

Adrien tried not to grimace. He had been at a photoshoot in the park, had just been finishing up and started heading towards the Dupain-Cheng bakery. But before he could take more than two feet towards his haven, tired after a long day and looking forward to relaxing with Marinette and playing (read: being absolutely demolished at) video games, there was a loud screech and he was suddenly accosted by at least a dozen people, cameras flashing while he blinked in surprise.

A bunch of his fangirls (and a few guys) seemed to have decided to meet up and crash his photoshoot, and unfortunately he had already sent Nathalie home, concerned after she kept coughing. Gorilla was also absent after recently having come down with the flu, and for once couldn't save his ass from the over-eager fans that grabbed his arms tight enough for their nails to dig into his skin and leave marks, especially one clingy girl that had a type of fake nail on that was sort of pointy and long and rather uncomfortably reminded Adrien of his alter-ego's claws.

The girls demanded his attention, taking selfies with him, shrieking loudly in his ears, and invading his personal space. And although he was trying to move away and push himself past them, they clung on until he would have had to physically push them, which he did not. As much as he hated these types of fangirls and their intrusiveness, he couldn't get violent or overly angry, or the media would undoubtedly be all over it within a couple of hours. The tabloids would be delighted, making accusations against Adrien's of his supposed 'violent nature' and, despite maybe a few articles in his support, the overall response would be very bad. Then the paparazzi would end up camped outside the school or his shoots for a few days, hassling him at every opportunity. But Adrien didn't see a way out of this situation, and although he was known for being rather patient, he was quickly starting to lose his temper.