The Purple Lion

Pidge's POV

As soon as I was told by Keith that something had happened to Nightshade, I locked onto his coordinates, and jetpacked over to them.

With Shiro ahead, we get closer to the point where Keith is. "They're down the next mineshaft" I say through my comm. I see Shiro nod, and he increases his pace to get to the mineshaft.

We finally reach it. I look down. "Oh, that's deep. Who's going first?" I ask Shiro. He doesn't answer, just begins the descent into the darkness. I follow close behind.

Keith's POV

I can hear the rocks falling around us as Shiro and Pidge jump off the walls of the mineshaft. Everything I have tried to wake Skaye up, she refuses. She isn't injured at least. I hear soft thuds behind me as Pidge and Shiro run over.

"She passed out when we landed down here. I've tried to wake her up, but she won't. I checked for injuries, she has none." I explain, thinking about what could have happened.

Shiro picks her up and leans her on his shoulder. Watching this, I feel weird. Jealous? Or maybe I'm imagining things. "Do you need some help?" Allura's voice patches in to our comms. Pidge explains the situation and says we should be ok.

I see her breathing get heavier and she jolts upwards. "Oh hi...and ow" she says, regaining her strength. She widens her eyes. "Did I cause a fuss? Sorry if I did..." She says quietly. Shiro shakes his head. "No, it's fine. We were just worried when you passed out" he replies.

She stands up suddenly. "She's here. Come on!" She calls to us, running down the tunnel next to us. I get up and go after her. Shiro stands up and taps Pidge on the arm. Soon, they follow us.

It is dead end ahead. Skaye skids to a halt and I just about stop myself crashing into her. "What is it?" I ask, listening to Pidge and Shiro catching up with us. Pidge is heavily out of breath. "There should be something... We need to go to the core. There is a way... Where is it?" Skaye frets, placing her hands all over the wall.

She hits one spot and a carving, much like a target, lights up brightly, causing us all to sheild our eyes.

Skaye's POV

I uncover my eyes as the light dims. The target is plastered against the wall. We need to get through the wall. I look around for something, but find nothing. "Anyone got any ideas on how to get through the wall?" I ask the other paladins, when my eyes land on a metal girder poking through the ceiling of the tunnel.

I point to it. "Pidge, Keith, can you cut through that? Make it sharp at one end please" I say, a plan forming in my mind. Shiro looks a little uneasy. He's not going to like this. Not one bit.

I watch them slice it out of the wall. It isn't too big, it's just the right size for the job. "Shiro, now your part. Could you jam this in the wall, I reckon I can find a mechanism to make it spin like a drill" I say, dragging it to him. He spears the weak rocks, jamming the girder in.

I look around for a drill of sorts. "Pidge, can you scan for any kind of drill?" I question, picking up old mining equipment from the floor. Who knew miners could be so messy?

Shiro POV

I make sure the girder is secure in the rock, then see what Pidge is doing. "I found something!" She exclaims, making me jump. "Though it's in one of the craters."

"Let's go and get it then shall we?" I say to Pidge, and I start walking down the tunnel. I hear her jogging a little to get to me.

Keith's POV

I stand there awkwardly as Skaye paces back and forth in front of the wall. I sit down next to the carving, avoiding old mining equipment. I pick up what seems to be a leather pouch.

I open it and a small black dagger falls out. "Hey, Skaye... Look at this" I say, waving her over.  She comes over and sits down. "What is this...?" She whispers, taking it from me and twisting the blade. "I've seen these before..."

She puts it in her bayard pouch, along with her bayard. "Hey, I found it first!" I exclaim, pushing her a little. She returns the gesture and I notice another pouch on the floor. I lean forward and grab it. Sure enough, another matching dagger falls out.

She grabs it and the pouch. "I know what this is!" She cries, excited. I look at her quizzically. "So... What is it?" I ask. She shows me the leathered hilt. There is a small engraving of S.K . "Those are my initials. Skaye Kura. I thought I recognised it! It's a vampire's ceremonial dagger. We are given these at the coming of age ceremony, which means at some point, vampires lived here. I might not be the last one!" She explains, ecstatic.

But how do they have her initials? Were they hidden here with her lion?
I keep quiet however, and listen to the sound of Pidge and Shiro coming back.

"Hey, we got the spinning mechanism" Pidge calls. Skaye gets up. Shiro looks at me. What did I do?
I watch them set it up, Pidge attaches the mechanism to the girder, and sets it off, drilling through the wall.

We wait a small while for the hole to be big enough to get through. Shiro takes out the girder and Skaye hops through and gasps. Pidge goes through next and does the same. "I'll wait out here" Shiro tells me, and I nod. I hop through.

"Wow. Nice lion" I tease, Skaye glares at me and presses her hands on the forcefield. It opens with a huge whoosh and the cat inside comes to life. I smirk as she climbs inside and waves us in.

She makes the lion put it's paw through the wall, allowing Shiro to enter. He gets in, and we fly to the surface, where the others get in their lions. We return to the ship.

~~I know this chapter dragged on and on, but it had to happen at some point. Any mistakes, point them out please! Thanks! ~~ LostFirestar