Friends

Ella's pov:

It has been a week since I got out from the hospital and things have gotten back to normal.

Which....

Is not a good thing.

Now it's my every day routine of school and attending classes that my mom once again brings in these strange teachers for.

I'm not kidding, some of them were freaky.

I think the art teacher was the craziest because she made us write a paragraph on what the color red meant.

I'll tell you what it means.

It means the color.

Red is a color!

Jeez.

And the thing is, it's summer.

And I am still scheduled classes.

So unfair.

"Ella, dinner in five minutes!!" My mom shouts from somewhere downstairs.

I let an annoyed, probably not human, noise and head down stairs.

I sit down in the seat I always sit in and wait for dinner to be served.

When it is served, I immediately dig in and try to avoid any conversation that my mom might start to say.

But, it didn't work.

Sadly.

"So girls, we will be having guests over tomorrow for dinner, I expect you to be on your best behavior for them." She says as she fixes the napkin on her lap.

I don't say anything as I keep eating as quick as I can.

Even to the point that if I try to eat any faster, I think I would just be inhaling it.

Like Kirby, except way cooler.

Obviously.

"Do we know them?" Ally asks.

"You were too little to remember, but you should address them as Mrs and Mr. Barrington."

I don't know why, but I feel like I have heard that name before.

And it's bothering me because it's at the tip of my tongue.

Or is that just chicken?

But seriously, from where would I recognize it from?

"Don't forget dear, they have a couple of sons too, more specifically five, remember that Luke Barrington kid? He's the youngest." My dad says.

I suddenly choke on my food and quickly reach for my water.

Luke Barrington as in hospital guy??!

...

There are four more of him??!

My parents give me a questionable look as I silently cough from my choking hazard.

You have got to be kidding me.

~~~~~~~~~~

My mother's words repeat in my head as I go through my closet.

"This is a fancy dinner Ella, don't show up in those t-shirts you always wear around the house."

Just thinking about it, I look at my pile of t-shirts sitting on my dresser.

Soon my love, I will wear you again.

I force myself to look back in my closet and I just decide to go with a simple summer dress, because hey, this is the best you're going to get out of me.