Marshmallow

Ella's pov:

"I have been meaning... to ask you something." I say as I sit down on the warm sand.

"Ask me what?" Luke asks as he throws a towel a me, it hitting me right on the forehead.

"Hey!"

"Whoops, my bad." I hear him laugh.

Yeah right.

He said that 'he knew' I would be in the water whether I wanted to or not, so he brought extra beach towels in the back of his car.

I didn't notice though because I drove Julie's car up here.

"Well... okay to be honest... I sorta.. lied." I twirl a loose strand of hair around my finger.

Luke tilts his head to the side, signaling me to continue.

"I don't have a friend who... is afraid of people."

"Oh really?" Luke says raising an eyebrow, but I can't help but see him try not to laugh.

"What?" I glare as he then starts to chuckle to himself.

"I know, did you really think I believed you?"

"What is that suppose to mean?!"

"That you are horrible at lying." He says as I elbow him in the gut.

"Stop, I'm being serious." I whine as he nods his head, trying to contain his laughter.

"I am.. staying.. at Julie's house." I draw out, watching as he goes from trying not to laugh, to a frown taking its place on his face.

Before I let him say anything, I rush out, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I.."

"I'm not upset."

"And I know you are probably mad-...wait what?" I stare at him in confusion.

"Julie's your friend, I can't not let you see her.... plus, you showed up in her car, of course I knew you were there."

...

I am such an idiot.

"She's not just my friend Luke, she's your's too." But he just shrugs his shoulders and looks out into the ocean.

"Luke, she made a mistake, but is it worth ruining your friendship?"

"I-..."

"She feels so bad for what she did." I end up whispering this last part.

Suddenly, Luke stands up, which is such a sudden moment, it almost causes me to fall back in the sand.

I almost thought he was just going to leave me here, but he moves to stand right in front of me.

I watch as a hand comes down, and I look up to see Luke half smiling at me.

I take his hand, while blushing of course, you know how my cheeks have some vengeance for me or something.

"Where are you going?"

"You mean where are we going." He says and points to Julie's car.

"Huh?"

"Buckle up and drive smartass, we are going to Julie's."

...

"I'm not a smart ass."

Luke looks at me and laughs, "What would you like me to call you?"

"... I'll think about it."