Prologue

My stomach flips as I walk into the diner. I bite my lip tucking my brown hair behind my ear. As soon as I walk in I look around not seeing him. I take a deep breath before I take a seat at a booth, and sit to face the door. The waiter brought over a water for me, and I smile thanking him. I sit for a few minutes looking at the menu. Hearing the bell at the door my heart races, and instantly I look up.

Two tall men walk in, the taller one has longer brown hair. He has a strong build with broad shoulders. He looks over and I see his eyes are a hazel color. The other one, slightly shorter, has short brown hair and also has a strong build. He wears a green military jacket over some dark flannel. The other wears a carhartt jacket with the hood.

My heart races faster as I take them in. The shorter one looks over at me and his green eyes take me in. His eyes scan me over, taking in all that he can see. And just watch as they walk pass me to take a seat. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I lean back in my seat looking to my phone for the time.

I frown seeing he is now thirty minutes late. Its now that I realize he won't be coming, and the waiter comes back over. "Miss it's been thirty minutes, if I were you I'd order something." He says. I nod my head looking up to him.

"I'll just take a barbecue chicken sandwich." He nods his head writing it down. With that he walks off leaving me with my eyes stinging with tears.

He stood me up. My heart breaks at the thought of what he did. He asked me to meet him here, and he doesn't show? I let out a small cry, only to cover it up quickly. I feel someone come my way before they sit down across from me. I look up meeting those green eyes from before.

He looks like a freaking model making my stomach flip and my heart race. He shoots me a smile before taking in my emotions. "What happened beautiful?"

"A guy stood me up." I say looking down.

"Well you deserve better than that dick." He says in all seriousness. I look up into those green eyes shocked by his words. "Where did you even meet the guy?"

"Um I met him the year I graduated college, and then we found each other a few months ago."

"When did you graduate?"

"Two years ago." I shrug.

"Well, I'll keep you company tonight." He smiles at me. My eyebrows furrow knowing he came here with the other man.

"Didn't you come here with someone?" I wonder.

"Yeah, he's my brother. Don't worry he has something he needs to do, and now I do." He winks at me. I feel my cheeks heat up at his words making me have to cross my legs.

"Here is your sandwich." The waiter says placing my plate down on front of me. He walks away without asking the man for anything, but I don't question it and neither does he.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Dean, yours?"

"Elle." I smile before picking up my sandwich. It's cut in halves making me look to Dean. "Want the other half?" He grins at me taking it making me smile.

"Thank you." He grins taking a bite. I laugh at him making him stop mid chew looking at me. "What?" He asks his mouth full of food. I just shake my head trying not to laugh.

"Nothing."

We finish eating in silence, but a comfortable silence. At least my night wasn't completely ruined. After we eat he asks me to go drive around with him.

"Won't your brother need a ride back?" I ask. He seems to mull it over as he downs the rest of his water.

"He can borrow your car." He shrugs. I bite my lip not knowing if it's a good idea. I really should be heading back and going to bed. But, I know if I do that I'll cry myself to sleep, and I'm not ready for that.

"Okay." I smile shyly. Dean grins as he puts his hand out, and I give him my keys.  He gets up and gives them to his brother before coming back.

"Okay, let's go Elle." He motions for me to get out of the booth, and I do. My face heats up as I lead the way to the door.