chapter one

Smiling at the little boy in front of me I wish I could let him play for a little bit longer. He crawls over to the toy cars before sitting in front of them and taking one in his hands. "Dax, are you ready to go?" I ask him. He looks to me grinning widely as he holds a red car in his hands. It's one of the big chunky cars that is perfect for two year olds to play with.

"Yes." I laugh walking over to him. I pick him up and rest him on my hip as I grab the diaper bag. I put the strap on my shoulder before walking to the door.

"Okay, lets go visit Bobby." I say as I open the door. Daxton cheers happily at the thought of visiting Bobby. Bobby is like a grandpa to him, and has been there for me since I first found out about Daxton.

After I tried to get in touch with Daxton's father I met Bobby. Since then he's been helping me out and staying in touch. We visit him often as he does to us.

I get Daxton in his car seat, and put the bag next to him. He pushes the car in my face happily. "Look mommy."

"I know Dax. It's a cool car." I smile. "Alright, time to go see Bobby." He cheers as I back up, and shut the door. I laugh as I open my own door before closing it and starting the car. I buckle up before pulling out onto the road.

It's a quick smooth drive to Bobby's, and Dax talks the whole time. About what, I have no clue. I just smile happy to have my little boy in my life. I park and look at him through the rearview mirror. I let out a small sigh seeing those green eyes he inherited from his father. Even his looks remind me of the guy, but I look past that loving my son unconditionally.

A knock on the window makes me jump. I look out to see Bobby grinning. I smile as he backs up letting me open my door. "Hi Bobby." I smile. He gives me hug making me let out a breath. He hugs me tight before letting me go looking at me.

"What's wrong?" He asks. His eyes glance to Daxton in the car. His eyes meet mine again as he tries to read me.

"Nothing." He gives me a pointed look.

"Do I look like an idgit to you?" I let out a small laugh shaking my head.

"No. It's just," I sigh looking over my shoulder to Daxton. "Sometimes looking at Dax makes me think of him." I look back to Bobby frowning. He sighs nodding his head.

"I know," he takes a deep breath. "But you don't need him, Elle." I nod my head before taking a step back.

"I know, Bobby. I really do." I say opening Daxton's door. I unbuckle him before picking him up and putting him on my hip.

"Hey Dax." Bobby cheers. I laugh as Daxton struggles to get out of my hold to go to Bobby. Bobby chuckles taking him from me.

"Hi!" Daxton cheers loudly. Bobby chuckles again smiling widely at him. He looks to me as I just smile at them. I then turn around to grab the bag before shutting the door.

"How you doing buddy?" Bobby asks as we walks towards his house.

"Good." Dax smiles before shoving his car in Bobby's face. "Car." Bobby chuckles nodding his head.

"I see. Is that your favorite?" He asks opening the door with the hand not holding Daxton. I look to Daxton, who looks deep in thought at the car.

"Yes." Daxton says after thinking long and hard about it.

"It's a nice one." Bobby says. I shut the door behind us before walking into his main room. It's still as messy as always, but I don't mind. It's just books all over. And we are careful watching Daxton around everything.

"How have you been Bobby?" I ask. He sighs looking to me.

"Busy." He muses. I just nod my head understanding as I sit on the couch.