Chapter 7: A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed.

(hmm. what can i say about this chapter other than. trying to write in between claasses and work is so stressful man. if this makes more than three pages i'll be impressed)

 Alice parked her car outside of her ex-boyfriend’s house. She had seen why the lowlife had broken up with her. Cherry Lawson, the captain of the cheerleading squad since she had quit, entered his house as if she owned the place. While they had been dating, Alice had copied the keys to his house, which she had used when she had wanted to sneak in. She’d lead him to believe the door was always open. Dylan was too gorgeous not to keep tabs on him. He couldn’t pee without her knowing.

Just as she was about to open the door planning on using the spare key she had made, she heard someone calling her name. She walked towards the voice, seeing a familiar face. She had forgotten that Screecher lived next door. Even while she was dating Dylan, she had been friends with her quirky neighbor. But he wasn’t so quirky now, he had spent the last few months working at his aunt’s farm and had begun to get ripped. His usually pale skin had a nice tan to it also. She only remembered him by the glasses he normally wore.

 “Screecher,” She hugged him tight, glad to see a happy face in her stormy world. In the last few weeks, she had gone from Alice Gillies the pretty cheerleader to Alice Gillies the cancer patient and the thought of that alone made her want to cry. But crying for her did nothing , so she had to continue to be strong. Yes, there were days when she wished she’d just die already and save everyone the heart-ache but there were also days when she found something she’d never seen or experienced before beautiful.

 “Little Alice,” He greeted her. He had always teased her about her height. A few years ago, they’d been the same height but he had had an impressive growth spurt and grew almost six inches. He towered over her now; and he wouldn’t let her forget it.

  He hugged her tight and she felt something she’d never felt before. “I heard about your diagnosis. I would say I’m sorry but I don’t want you to think I pity you,” His voice had deepened a lot since she’d heard him last. There was no more screechy voice-she missed it a little. Unlike Dylan who claimed he was a man, though he was a little boy in a man’s body, Screecher was a man, body and in mind.

  “It’s fine,”

 “How are you holding up?” He asked patting her on the head. She’d invested in a Mia Thermpolis- style hat which she’d worn since her hair began to drop out after her last session. She was about to go to the hair salon and shave her head after she confronted the asshole who lived next door.

   “I’m doing okay. I bet I’m doing even better than you,” She laughed knowing she was always happier around Screecher. A few years previously, she’d been caught up in the popularity contest and had brushed him off but had secretly spent every weekend with him playing video games or working on his aunt’s farm. When they’d gotten into high school, it all began to change.

  It wasn’t worth it                                                                           

  “I saw Cherry Lawson going into Dylan’s place. Are they suddenly friends?” She asked curiously.

He coughed nervously and if she didn’t know better, there was a secret he didn’t want her to know. “Spit it out Screecher,”

 “They’ve been secretly hooking up for a few weeks now,” He tried to hold her but she stormed across the lawn, her small hands folded into tight fists. She found strength from somewhere, retrieving the key from her pocket.

Silently they walked through the house and upstairs to her exes room. She could hear him moaning loudly and hot tears brimmed her eyes as she gently pushed the door leading to his bedroom. What she saw hurt more than the injections she was forced to get regularly and burned more than the drugs which went into her system. Cherry Lawson and Dylan were getting hot and heavy on the sheets she’d gotten him for Christmas; the same ones she had on her own bed.