•Hot Street•

16

Janet

My eyes slowly widen as I rested my hands under my chin trying to take it all in without becoming angry

"Jan, you still there?" The person proclaims to be my oldest sister Rebbie.

My eyes look up at Eazy who has a blank look on his face. Our eyes met and I knew exactly what he was thinking.

If Michael found out.

I took in a deep breath and cleared my throat regaining my composure.

"Uhh yes. Yes I'm here."

"It's so good to hear from you Dunk." She says happily making me cringed. It felt weird with her calling me Dunk.

"Uhh how did you get my number?" I asked bluntly.

"I found it in Mother's study." She tells me.
My heart trembled when she mentioned her.
My mom.

"She had Michaels too! I tried calling him but—

I quickly cut her off,
"Don't call him!" I say sternly.

"Why not?"

"Because he hates you, all of you." I tell her as if it wasn't obvious.
I look over at Eazy as he gives me a look of disappointment.

"Janet it was never our fault. It was Joseph." She says softly.

Joseph

Its always Joseph the one to blame. It was absolutely pathetic.

I shake my head,
"No you guys had a choice. You forgot about us." I said feeling my eyes water in anger.

"Oh god no. Jan that's not true, Mother was worried about both of you, she could never sleep at night. For all we know we thought you guys were dead! But Mother had a feeling, she knew you were okay."

I stare down at my phone not knowing what to say.
You telling me my Mama had some kinda feeling that we were safe when this bitch had our numbers this whole and didn't bother to even call all those years.
Bullshit
All I'm hearing is straight bullshit!

"I wanna fly down there and see you guys." She finally says softly.

"I don't think that's a good idea," I warn her,

"Why not? Look I wa—

I cut her off,
"Listen I don't know what your motive is but please don't call my phone ever again we are perfectly fine and don't need you back in our lives or any of you fuckers so do me a favor and lose our number!" I said hanging up.

I sighed sitting my phone down burying my face in my hands as I felt tears fall from my eyes.

I felt a pair of arms wrap around me tightly as I cried.

"Don't cry babygirl you know ion like dat shit." He whispers softly rubbing my back.

"Sorry." I muttered feeling embarrassed that I just cried in front of him.
"It's just overwhelming I haven't seen my sister in like over 10 years!" I whimpered wiping my eyes.

"I know mann, but don't cry cause you gotta nigga feeling sensitive and shii." He says sniffling.

I cracked a small smile playfully pushing him away making him chuckle.

"I wonder what made her call?" I muttered placing my hands on the island.

Eazy shrugs,
"I don't know J but my concern is are you gon tell your brother?" He asks me with a serious look.

"You know I'm not gonna tell Michael. He'll flip out and I don't have time for his big ass temper tantrums." I said.

"You do the same thing. Like brother like sister." Eazy replies leaning against the island.

"Shut up!" I snapped,
"An-ti-ways I think it's best to not tell him." I tell him.

Eric nods,
"You right and speaking of your brother there go his late ass pulling up now." He says glancing out the window.

I leaned to the side to look out the window and saw Michaels car.

I automatically rolled my eyes.

••••

Rebbie

Tears fell from my eyes as I stared at my phone

Tears fell from my eyes as I stared at my phone. I was hurt. Very hurt but I could understand.
I just wished she would let me explain myself.
I got up from my office chair and went downstairs to the living room and see my husband Nathan feeding our son Austin.

He gives me a warm smile when he sees me,
"So how'd it go?" He ask.

I scoffed plopping down on the couch making Nathan smile drop.

"I guess not so good." He mumbles.

"She practically hates me and the family!" I exclaimed.

"Don't say that, she was just upset." My husband assures.

I shake my head,
"No, she clearly does and I don't blame her." I muttered.

"Do the rest know that you've got in touch with y'alls baby sister?" Nathan asked softly.

"No. I didn't want to tell them yet because I knew this was gonna happen." I sniffled feeling my tears approaching.
"There was so much I wanted to tell her. I wanted her to know that she has nieces and nephews and sha has a niece Yashi who's her age and would love to meet her. Ugh I hate this!"

"Baby don't be so upset, you moved up here before your family did." He tells me.

"I know and she was only 3. I was 18 with a 3 year old daughter and Joseph hated that he hated I was still with you and he kicked me out. I never had a choice. Janet was so sad when I left too." I paused feeling the tears stain my cheeks.
"I should've took her with me. Michael too."

Nathan rubs my knee holding our now sleeping son.

"Don't beat yourself up over this, just stay positive baby." He assures.

I shook my head grabbing his hand,
"I can't. Baby I just can't, I gotta make it right I don't care. Whatever it takes I'ma make it right."