Chapter One

"I hope you're not making me look like a hooligan!" his voice belted through the wind.

I glanced away from my canvas and grinned at his crumpled expression. Teasingly, I replied, "one should embrace their natural attributes, Percy."

He scoffed in disbelief, and I held back a laugh. "Lyla! You better not-"

"Don't move!" I stopped him, my paint-stained hands lifted before me and gestured for him to halt. "I can't afford to have you shifting too much."

"Then don't insult my charm."

"Whatever...now hush, I need to catch the sunlight."

My focus zeroed on my canvas again. The sunset was just at the right angle at this hour. Its magical glow danced over the ocean and reflected against the sides of my cousins' physique perfectly. I just had to capture the scene before it left.

Percy's chocolate coloured hair swished messily on his head, almost blocking his eyes. Despite its messiness, it soaked up the golden rays of the sun- glowingly. Shadows were cast onto the rest of his face, creating a mysterious feel about him.

The wind picked up slightly and I struggled a bit but after a few more strokes, I was finished.

I smiled, satisfied and lowered my brush after I signed my artist initials against the line of Percy's jeans. The gallery would certainly love this one. I glanced at him and waved him over excitedly. "You're going to love it," I encouraged.

He mumbled to himself while he walked over to the canvas then studied the painting. I watched his mouth repeatedly slackened then closed and cringed. "You're not visually appealing right now Percy," I said.

"Lyla...I mean, I know I'm not ugly, but I didn't think I'd be such a snack," he gushed, a wide grin masking his lips and his dark brown eyes twinkled proudly. I shook my head disbelievingly and folded my arms.

"You're so full of yourself."

He scoffed. "You should be proud to have me as a cousin," he boasted, then eyed the painting again. "It's amazing how well you captured details though, are you going to send it to the gallery? Can't you just keep this one?" he inquired with a pleading look in his eyes and I sighed, staring at the masterpiece longingly.

It truly was a great piece. Percy was inclined against an overturned old barrel abandoned on the shore. His eyes were partially hidden under his mass of hair and although it created an eerie vibe, the smirk gracing his lips, invited your curiosity to know him more. The sun rays seemed to be pushing through him somewhat, while it set directly behind him.

It was perfect.

Selling my paintings was a bittersweet thing for me. I enjoyed sharing it with others, but I also felt sad for letting them go. There was a part of me that wanted to hold onto them forever...but I knew my feelings didn't matter. Selling my art was a necessity.

"It's how we pay our bills, Percy," I mumbled uncomfortably.

He didn't respond at first but draped a hand over my shoulder lovingly. "I know. You work hard and you really helped me to enjoy spending the summer here too," he admitted.

My heart fell instantly. He was leaving tomorrow on an evening flight back to Canada. I was going to miss him dearly. He always made me feel so special and wanted, as an individual.

I didn't have to endure this summer alone, like every day of my teenage life. Dread settled in my stomach at the thought of the new school year which begins in less than two days. It was the very place that solidified how insignificant I am.