Chapter Thirteen

"I'm telling you Lyla, you need to come rescue me," my overdramatic cousin whines through my phone.

I snickered and waved goodbye at my father. I waited until he drove off, before walking into Vector Academy. "Percy, what's the worse that could happen? It's just a game anyways." I said optimistically.

He's been whining about this game his classmates placed him in ever since school started. "Lyla! Do I look like someone with a bad ass in me?" he shouted and I cringe away from my phone.

"No actually your ass is pretty lame." I teased, pausing at my locker. I pictured his scowl and laughed a little.

"You know, ever since Kyle came into your life, you've been nothing but mean to me." he complain.

"Thats so not true! I complimented you yesterday night." I defended.

He snorted. "Telling me that the scent of my breath has finally left your room, is not a compliment Lyla," he deadpans.

I snorted aloud earning a few weird glares from passing students and I quickly covered my mouth to muffle my laugh. If there was one thing I enjoyed as much as painting, it was teasing Percy. We bickered  over the phone for a few more minutes until the bell rang and I had to hang up. 

As I walked into my homeroom class, I realise I haven't seen or heard from Kyle since yesterday. He wasn't present in homeroom class either. I waited until second period started to text him but he didn't respond as he usaually does and I immediately got worried. First, I was missing him, but now I was both worried about him and missing him. The familiar sense of loneliness clouded over my mood once again, and by time we got to lunch- I was upset. 

A thousand questions zapped through my mind continuously the whole time. Why wasn't he here? Why isn't he responding to my messages either? Is he tired of me already?

I think this is the hardest I've ever chewed a cheesy burger. I was down to my last bite when I felt a presence behind me. I slowly glanced around and my heart fell when I recognised the familiar red head.

"Selena." I said feeling extremely uncomfortable. Her expression was passive but she didn't seem very...Upset.

"Lightweight." She smirks. I rolled my eyes not surprised that Jackson's nickname for me as already spreaded. "You look a little lonely without Kyle." She continues.

"Come to keep my company?" I asked sarcastically, glancing around.

Surprisingly she sat down beside me and I frowned. What could she want now? "Look, Kyle spoke to me about you the other day. He asked me to cut you some slack." She admits.

My brow rose in surprise. I had no idea he asked her to do that. "Why are you telling me?"

"Because even though I will, I still need you to know that I'm watching you. I care about Kyle, and I don't want him to get hurt."

"Why would I think of hurting Kyle?"

"Because of your financial status." She states firmly.

I sighed aloud and ran a hand through my hair. This was the exact flaw with almost everyone at this school. They are so prejudice and judgemental. "Just because I have less money than he does, doesn't make me a gold digger. Kyle pursue me, not the other way around. So please, keep your concerns to yourself and leave me alone...Like you always do." I snapped angrily. A shocked expression passed her face, but I quickly gathered my things and walked away.

Apart of me feared she would run to her father and let him take her revenge out on my father. However, remembering how committed she seem to be to Kyle's demand, I relaxed a bit.

Everything will be okay. I encouraged myself then approach the room to my next class.

※※※※※

Kyle's P.O.V.

"What does that mean dad? We had a deal," I proclaimed in frustration.

My father sighed and looked up from the stack of papers outlined before him. His eyes met mines firmly. "It means we have to speed things up. Our clients think the transition is too slow."

"Lyla is still in school-”

“She can finish high school in Spain.” he interrupts.

I scoffed and flopped into the chair positioned before him. He was not understanding my concern. “Dad, she doesn't even know who I really am and there is no way in hell her father would allow her to leave the country before she finishes. We'd loose our highest in demand partner entirely,” I explained.

A serious look masked his face and he frowned. I knew he was thinking of my explanation, however knowing my father, he needed a suggestion to fix our problem before he considered being lenient.

“We can let them know that they can send in their requests and that Lyla will start working on them from here. That way, we'll still be profitable during the transition process,” I proposed.

He inclined in the chair and rubbed his jaw. A couple seconds later he shrug and met my eyes. "I'll propose the idea to our clients and the board. However, Johnathon, you need to tell her the truth... Things might not go as planned." He says, and without another word, returned to his work.

I frowned and walked towards the glass windows and look over New York. My father was right. However, I'm terrified about Lyla's reaction to the truth. What if she doesn't accept who I really am because she fell for a phony?

Although, I wasn't necessarily pretending with her.

My phone beeped twice, and I slowly pulled it out. I sighed in regret when I saw that I totally didn't inform Lyla that I was going to be gone for two days. My father called me so sudden, I just rushed out.

"Crap." I hissed, then press the call button to apologize to this sweet girl.

This chappy isn't as long as the others, however I promise the upcoming ones will be!

Vote if you liked it and let me know your thoughts!

-With love, Chan.