Chapter Nineteen

“Lyla.” Jackson called from behind me.

I didn't move, I didn't even glance at him. All I could see, was the gleefull look in my father's eyes, while he rejoice over his win in the last round.

I could already feel the tears welling in my eyes. After so long, I sold my most prized paintings, not for my own fame, but to help support him. I took care of the bills, and faced the social rejection because I was too busy caring about how my father would feel. And yet, he never supported me. Instead, he was draining me. So he didn't have to man up himself.

I clenched my fists, wincing at how my nails dug into my palms  and began to move towards the table but a familiar rough hand grabbed my wrist.

“Lyla don't.” Jackson demands.

I gritted my teeth and tried to rip my hand out of his, but his grip tightened and he spun me into his chest. My breath knock out of me, including the tears welling in my eyes and I felt myself began to shatter with hurt.

“S-stop. Let me go.” I resist, pounding my free hand against his chest. My chest heaved and my sobs escaped me before I could stop them.

Jackson pinned me to his chest and patted my head soothingly. “Now is not the time to confront him. He's been drinking too. Wait until you're home and more calm down.” he whispered into my ear.

A part of me know he was right. But being here was stifling me. “I can't stay here.” I mumbled.

“Then let's go.” he suggest.

He lead me through a side door of the pub. The outside air stung my eyes and I used the back of my palm to wipe them free of the tears. I couldn't believe after all this time, my father would really betray me like this.

We walked in silence towards his motorcycle but I hesitated from getting on with him. “What do I do now?”

He sighed and surprisingly held my hand, while remaining seated on his bike. My teary eyes met his blue orbs and I immediately felt vulnerable. “Well, you've always been in charge with your household. So do just that. Cut him off from everything.” he suggest.

“And what about him? How can I ever look at him the same again?”

“You won't be able to. But let him prove to you, just how much you mean to him. He has to be a Father now Lyla. Look,” he sighs and his grip on my hands tightened. “I know I didn't treat you the best at Vector, and I'm really sorry. I was just stupid. But don't let anyone treat you as a Lightweight anymore. After all those years being socially rejected and earning a living for your father, I've come to realise just how wrong we all were about you. No lightweight could endure all that for so long.” he says seriously.

My heart warmed inside me, and with my current emotional state, I felt my eyes watering again. I never knew Jackson's words would mean so much to me. Apart of me felt like his honesty was the reason why they did.

Without another thought, I stepped closer to him and did the one thing I never thought I would do- I hugged him.

He stiffened at first but eventually relaxed and wrapped his hands around me, making me feel incredibly small. “I guess this means you don't hate me.”

I chuckled a little and pulled out his hands. “Hate is such a strong word.” I teased and he grinned at me.

My heart skipped a beat when he used his thumb and wiped away my tears and a new worry began to rise in me. Was I just in an emotional state, or am I starting to like Jackson?

Oh gosh.

“I’m happy you don't.” he whispered after lowering his thumb.

I squeeze my palms together nervously. He was looking at me with an intensity I've only seen in Kyle's eyes and it was beginning to scare the crap out of me.

“Why?” I asked.

He looked away hesitantly. Then he removed himself from his bike so he could properly face me. I crammed my neck back, meeting his eyes.

“Because as much as how I try to tell myself that I don't...I can't deny how I really feel when I see you smiling at Kyle. I can't help but long for you to smile at me like that...”

My breath hitched. “Jackson-”

“Yes Lyla, I like you. I can't tell you for how long I have, I just know that I'm just as shocked about it as you are...” he reached for my hands and I immediately step away from him.

My mind felt like it was going to explode. It was all too much. Too overwhelming to believe the events unfolding tonight.

He dropped his hands and his eyes turned icy. “And you're scared.” he states.

“W-what could I have done to make you like me? I-I have a boyfriend...I'm with Kyle-”

“I didn't ask for a reminder. You don't think I know that?” he interrupted, an irritating look crossing his face.

“Then why would you allow yourself to feel like that? Why would you put me in this position?” I snapped loudly, my anxiety was skyrocketing. I can't believe this...

He scoffs. “Do you think feelings are something that can always be controlled? At least I'm honest about them.”

“What exactly are you saying?”

He stormed towards me and gripped my upper arms tightly. My heart raced at the feeling of him so close to me. Touching me...

“Why do you feel so pressured Lyla? Some girls would just simply acknowledge my confession and moved on... Maybe it's because you feel something for me.” he accused.

I shook my head not wanting to believe him. However deep down, I felt like he was stripping away my deepest walls. As if he knew me better than I knew myself. “Thats a lie.” I whispered.

“Is it? Look me in my eyes and tell me you feel nothing for me Lyla.” he demands.

“No. Just leave me alone.” I begged. Everything felt like it was crumbling inside me.

He flinched but thankfully listened and released me. “You can't say it can you? Because you feel something.”

“This is very unfair to me Jackson.”

“You wanted the truth. Well here's mine. I like you. And I will not stop until you admit to yourself that you feel the same.” he declares.

I clenched my fists. “It wouldn't change anything.”

He smirks. “We’ll see about that.” he promised.

I glared up at him, suddenly regretting ever agreeing to come with him tonight. This was all wrong. It was too much.

Thankfully yet somewhat unfortunate, a group of males exited the pub laughing and it distracted us both. I glanced around at them and saw that my father was amongst them and it seems he's getting ready to leave.

I glanced back at Jackson firmly. “I’ll go with my father. Goodnight Jackson.” I deadpanned and quickly turned my back on him to walk away.

Seconds after I heard him shout: “You will admit it Lyla, I promise you.” and felt an overwhelming fear rising in me.

Oh Lord, what is happening?

I'm asking the same thing Lyla

Thoughts anyone?

- With Love, Chan.