Chapter Sixteen

"Well?" Alicia urges studying my awestruck expression.
I swallowed deeply, feeling the blow of both shock and somewhat betrayal as I stared at him.

I numbly shoved her phone back towards her. "Uh, h-he definitely isn't from around here." I said.

She frowned slightly. "Are you okay?"

I needed an explaination from him. After all this time, he knew the truth and acted like some stranger to me. I reached for my cellphone and hid it within the front pockets of my sweater. "I'll be right back." I said quickly.

I walked to an unoccupied hallway and inclined against a wall. After which I dialed his number and anxiously waited until he picked up on the fourth ring.

"Hey what's up? Got a new painting?" he asks casually.

I scoffed. "Are you kidding me Moses?" I whispered harshly, "Or should I say Jonathan?"

"What? What the hell are you talking about Lyla?" he asks.

I knitted my brows. "The fact that you've been my boss this entire time! I thought we had a contract that states-"

"Whoa, Lyla I'm not Johnathan." he declares.

My minded began to spiral in confusion. "Huh? Yo-you are on the website." Does that mean Vision was hiding Jonathan's real identity? Why would they do that?

Moses hesitated over the line for a few seconds before he spoke again. "Damn, I just got the email. Uh, Lyla just between us, believe me I'm not actually Johnathan, but for publication, I will be in the next couple weeks. Just keep that on the down low okay?"

I folded my arms. "Why should I believe you? And why is he hiding?"

He sighed. "Lyla, I can't paint to save my life. And I don't like to pretend. But this is kinda how I make money right now and since boss wants to remain hidden then I'll cover for him. I don't know why though. I'll have to speak with him." he explained. I felt my anxiousness ease from the thoughts of betrayal and was happy I called him.

However, now I was just left with unawswered questions. "Do you know what he looks like?"

Moses scoffed. "Brown hair, pretty eyes. Nothing fancy. Look, I kinda have to call his father now so..." he trailed off.

"Yeah, yeah I understand. Talk to you later." I concluded and hung up the call. I've never been more curious about Vision until now.

Maybe Kyle would have some ideas?

I sighed and proceed to walk back to class when two persons caught my attention within an empty classroom. I quietly peeped through the small window in the door and I frowned at what seems to be an heated argument between Kyle and Selena.

Shouldn't they be in class by now?

"...How could....Let....Happen?" Kyle was saying and his face expression was the coldest I've ever seen. I pressed my ears against the door to try and interpret their muffled voices clearer.

"She should accept you for you." Selena stated firmly. I knitted my brows in confusion. Who's she?

I glanced at Kyle again but suddenly a hand clamped over my mouth, muffling my surprised scream and I was pulled back into a firm chest and tugged unto the next hallway.

My heart rate accelerated in fright and I quickly shoved my body out of the person's grip. I hurriedly faced him and gasped when a pair of ocean blue eyes stared back at me.

"Jackson, you scared me." I breathe out in relief.

"Evsdropping is not a good practice Lyla," he says with a smug smile.

I rolled my eyes and inhaled deeply to steady my racing heart. "I was just curious."

"As am I," he smirks then stepped closer towards me, "It seems all that interests me these days, revolves around the little Lightweight," he proclaims, staring deeply into my eyes.

I immediately looked away feeling slightly intimidating. "I see the nickname is back."

He scoffed. "I should probably change it. You're everything but Lightweight now."

I knitted my brows. "It seems you know more about me than I know myself." I said observingly.

A smile began to grow on his lips and I marveled at how much a genuine smile highlighted his entire face. He looked so much more...approachable.

"Maybe because I'm your guardian angel...Or maybe you just genuinely interest me," he answered, a playful grin in his eyes.

I raised my brows in surprise and narrowed my eyes at him. "Oh really? Since when?"

"Since Kyle Andrews decided to show interest. Not that you were totally invisible before, but I kinda figured if you talked to him, then you'd probably talk to me."

My mouth fell. Was this really Jackson Beckham talking? He's always mean to me. So where was all of this coming from?

"So you put on a show for other people to believe you hate me, when secretly...You don't?"

He clicked his tongue. "You catch on fast."

I scoffed. "You do realise you kind of just admitted to being a prideful jerk right?"

He sighed. "I'm just being honest. I really don't hate you." His face grew serious. "Thats why I'm doing my best to help you with the truth."

He was still talking in codes. And my entire being felt bewildered by the sudden change in this guy. How do you hate someone for years then suddenly love them? It wasn't adding up.

"What aren't you telling me Beckham?"

A innocent look came across his eyes. "I've been honest Lyla."

"You can't expect me to believe that you suddenly have a change of heart just randomly. Without anything in it for yourself." I gave him a pointed look.

He smirks. "I'm now hoping there will be something in it for me. But that will be for you to decide...Tonight." he wiggled his brows.

I sighed. "You really know how to make a girl wait Beckham." I stated slightly annoyed.

He grins, placed a hand over my shoulder, and began to walk me towards my class. Having another male touch me felt foreign but I didn't move his hand away even though my entire body stiffened at his touch.

"I like to keep things interesting." he admits.

I glanced around the hall wearily. "Aren't you afraid someone sees you touching the social reject?" I asked, as we paused a couple feet away from my class door.

"Not anymore," he admits, removing his hands. "I'll pick you up at eight." he winks then walked off leaving me completely stunned.

To be honest, I enjoy writing scenes with Jackson

To be honest, I enjoy writing scenes with Jackson. He's growing on me. Haha.
Thoughts?

-With Love, Chan.