Chapter Six

I shove the door open with urgency I haven’t felt in the longest time, and my eyes searched Tart Tat’s café frantically.

Once I spotted the mass of curly dark hair and his curious green eyes, I pushed my feet towards the table. It was one of the more smaller tables in the café, and further away from the crowd settling closer to the entrance. It was also lunch period back at school, and I really needed a piece of mind after that letter I read couple minutes ago.

“This is so not happening,” I declare slamming the letter on the table.

He sighs and leaned back in the chair. “I told you, you might not like what’s inside,” He says, and I flopped in the empty chair across from him.

“Moses, this is how I make money. They can’t just-he can’t just cut me off like this. I have a contract that states-”

“You will be their partner for the next three years unless there is a major company change. And they are having one Lyla. The business is expanding and your reputation as well. I thought you’d at least be happy for that," He interrupts, a puzzled expression plastered on his face.

Fear and anxiety settled in my stomach and I ran a hand through my hair. This was too much to think about right now. It was stressing me out.

“It’s not that the offer isn’t pleasing. Honestly, there’s a huge part of me that wants this Moses, but another that isn’t sure…but that’s not the problem. I can’t afford to not have any income for the rest of the month.”

Oh gosh, what will I do? How will I tell my father this? He’ll immediately start freaking out!

Moses didn’t respond immediately, and it wasn’t hard to read that he was trying not to look at me with pity. He didn’t know everything about me, but he did understand how much I depend on the income I get from my paintings. “I’m sorry Lyla," He mumbled.

“W-what about the buyer from Europe? Can’t I just sell him my paintings directly-”

“That’s against the company’s policy and your contract. You can only sell through Vision…listen, I understand your frustration- well at least I can imagine I do- but maybe you should tell your old man to tie up his loose ends and help you out for the rest of the month,” He suggested in a calm tone.

I couldn’t bring myself to respond. Just the thought of asking my father to start helping after being the only support after so long…I wasn’t sure how to even approach the idea.

Shortly afterwards, Moses left saying it was a long way back to New York after he finishes some work here and gave me the final cheque from Percy’s piece. It was enough to cover the payment that’s due for school, but there won’t be much left for my household expenses. I can’t believe this.

I pushed passed the annoying students blocking the entrance and exited the Café. My eyes immediately zeroed on the black motorcycle humming to life a couple meters away. It looked extremely familiar and realization hit me, when the rider pulled his helmet off.

Jackson.

I scowled at the sight of him and looked away. I didn’t bother to wonder why he was even here. Instead, I thought about how much the walk back to school will clear my head.