Chapter Twenty-Eight

The moment we stepped inside the gym, my eyes began to rake the crowd for Jackson or Alicia. It was quite difficult however because the room was packed.

The planning committee did an excellent job and contrasted the different shades of blue along with the white well to work for our Winter theme. A section was blocked off specially for Vogue's photoshoot and a line of girls where there waiting to take their million dollar shot to be featured. The dance floor was wide enough to dance and socailaize without feeling extremely confined too. On the stage was a band I didn't know the name of and they were singing pop music. Towards the right corner of the stage, was a canvas covered by a red material.

"Kyle," I called over the music and pointed towards the canvas when I got his attention. "Do you think it's Johnathan's?" I asked.

He nodded. "Definately."

My phone vibrated again and I lifted it quickly, thinking it might be Jackson. It wasn't.

Moses: Good luck tonight.
Lyla: Thanks Mos. Will tell you what happens.

I responded quickly, grateful that he at least checked in. After wards, Kyle began to pull me towards the section where Vogue was and I knitted my brows in confusion.

"Kyle I'm not entering the competition!" I shouted over the music.

"I know. I saw Alicia waving at us." he replied and I quickly look ahead of me and saw her standing close by the set up with a blonde hair guy.

Her dress looked gorgeous on her and her smoky eye was a killer. She smiled brightly at us and we exchanged a hug. "You look amazing!" I compliment.

"So do you!" she smiled brightly.

"You should totally enter that contest." I encourage.

The blond boy beside her smirked. "Oh I made sure she did. Hi, I'm Kane." he introduced.

His beach blond hair and soft green eyes seemed so bright because because of his black tuxedo. However, he was quite gorgeous.

"Lyla."

"Kyle."

"Kane is my old friend. I thought if there was anyone to take me to this thing, it would be him." Alicia explained and Kane smiled proudly.

I smiled. "Well, it's very nice to meet you."

The MC for the ball which was our guidance counselor, walked to the microphone as the band ended their song. He was dressed in a tuxedo as well and a wide smile was on his face. "Goodnight Vector Academy!"

A series of "whooing" emerged from my schoolmates as a response and his grin widen.

"I hope you are enjoying the night so far. As you know, the young bachelor from Vision will be revealed here tonight in a couple of minutes, and of course our lovely partners from Vogue is also here. I encourage you all to remain on your best behaviour. I'll see you all again in twenty minutes!"

Just as he ended, Alicia pulled me aside, out of earshot from Kyle and Kane. "Did you find my brother?" she enquired.

"No I haven't. Where is he?"

She sighed. "The last time I saw him, he was with Jared and the guys in the hallway. I'll go search for him. Just stay in here." she instructed.

I nodded and watched as she pulled Kane behind her to search for him. Kyle met my eyes then and motioned us to the dance floor.

"Now that they are dropping the tempo, I believe it's time we danced." he whispered in my ear.

I smiled, nodded and joined him. We slowly rocked from side to side and I immediately grew sad, remembering that he has to return home this weekend. This wasn't going to be easy at all. He must have felt my distress too because he tighten his hold around my waist reassuringly.