Chapter Three

Walking into school the next day made me feel like things went back to normal. I didn't spot Kyle around for the first few minutes I arrived but Selena walked past me like I was invisible. As if yesterday didn't even happen.

I was relieved, to say the least. My mind was already wrapped in all the possibilities located inside the letter. I know eventually, I'll have to woman up and read it but for now, I'll spare myself.

When I opened my locker and spotted myself in my small mirror pinned to the back of it I frowned. I had my father's big round eyes. I felt like I looked so simple, with no unique features that stood out. My eyes matched the brown shade of my hair which rolled down my long-sleeve white top and I sighed. Whatever, not everyone was born to stand out anyway.

"You look nice," someone complimented.

My heart fluttered and I glanced through my mirror and spotted Kyle's smiling face behind me. Ugh, why is he making this so hard for me?

"We're kinda matching too," He smiled widened into a grin, and I shut my locker to face him.

I almost dropped my mouth in surprise. He was telling the truth. He too wore a long sleeve white shirt, blue jeans and, white shoes. My cheeks flushed brightly, and my mind ran over my memories of struggling to find an outfit this morning. How was this even possible?

I immediately glanced around the hallway, feeling a bit judged by the strange looks people were starting to throw at us. Oh gosh, we look like a couple...

"We should take a photo to remember this day..." Kyle was saying with a chuckle.

His long hand dropped on my shoulders, squishing me to his body while his other hand raised in the air with his iPhone, and the familiar click of the camera echoed. My eyes widened in shock and I quickly pushed him off. My skin tingles from his body heat. He smelled so nice. He felt so nice...

"Kyle!" I hissed under my breath, my cheeks burning. "You can't just drag someone into a photo like that."

He smirked. "Of course, I can. Who wouldn't want a photo with you?" he asked with raised brows.

Feeling flattered, my cheeks burned even more, and I turned to close my locker and buy some time to calm down. Seconds after, I picked up my bag from the ground and slung it over my shoulder.

"If you haven't noticed, almost everyone here," I mumbled embarrassed.

His smile remained, and he tilted his head studying me. "Well, it's a good thing I'm not everyone then."

I sighed. "Kyle, I told you yesterday-" I began, desperation in my voice.

"And I heard you," he interrupts, stepping closer towards me. I swallowed at the proximity and met his eyes. "But I don't care. I want you," He says softly, studying me.

My breath hitched and I squeezed my toes in my shoes. All these words and nervous tingles were getting to me. I couldn't understand why he wanted to be friends with me so badly. It was the oddest thing I've ever encountered.

I squeezed my bag straps tightly. Wanted? What does he mean?

"You...what?" I asked, feeling dumbfounded.

"Friend. I want you to be my friend. You can't run away from me Lyla. No matter how hard you try," he clarified.

I exhaled. "I can't understand why you are so interested in me," I admitted.

A strange look passed his face, but he quickly masked it with a smirk. "Don't worry about it. I'll see you at lunch...friend," He assured me, walking away.