Chapter Twenty-Four

To say I was feeling paranoid the next couple days, would be an understatement.

I would glance over my shoulders randomly to try and catch any male figure who might be watching me in an abnormal way. However, those efforts were in vain. I didn't see a single soul.

Kyle noticed my edginess too and decided to take me out Friday night to a local amusement park downtown. It wasn't very overcrowded, however it still brimmed with life and 90s music.

After Kyle won a shooting game, we began to walk towards a gentle meri-go-round ride and he decided to talk about my frequent moods.

“You’ve been on the edge lately.” he states shoving his hands into his front pockets.

I rubbed my arms nervously. “Oh you know, the Winter Ball is next week. I don't even have a dress yet.” I scoffed.

He raised a brow and glanced at me. “You can ask Alicia to help you go dress shopping.” he shrugged.

“Yeah I probably should.” I murmured, making a mental note to myself. Alicia would be thrilled at the idea-

“Now tell me why you are really on an edge.” he deadpanned, pausing in his steps and stared down at me expectantly.

Why can he see through me like this?

Up until this point I haven't given the full synopsis about Vision to Kyle. Although, he should already be aware of the public mishaps considering he follows the business a lot. I suppose speaking on the public issues wouldn't be too much of a problem.

“Its just that Vision has been confusing the past few weeks. Now, they placed on their website that the real Johnathan Harrington will be revealed at our Winter Ball. I mean what's with the mystery? For publicity?” I scoffed at my outburst and folded my arms shaking my head in disbelief.

Kyle's face grew somewhat sad and I sighed. “I know you admire them and all but it just doesn't make sense to me Kyle. I'm supposed to reveal my identity at the end of the year. And yet, my own boss is playing hide and seek.” I continued my rant.

He exhaled before wrapping a hand around my shoulder and pulling me into him. “Relax Lyla, I'm sure there is a good explanation for all of this. At least you'll know who he is in a couple days.” he says softly.

“It’s still frustrating.” I muttered.

“Well it’s our night tonight, not Johnathan’s or Vision. Now, let's go on the stupid ride.” he smirks.

I smiled a little and agreed, following him onto the ride. It was gentle enjoyment and I treasured the wide smile on Kyle's face has he rambled on about every little thing.

My heart warmed inside me and skipped a beat each moment he met my eyes. Over the past months, I've grown to love and trust him so much. I didn't have any doubts whether or not I felt safe with him.

And I hope that never changes.

✺✺✺✺

On Monday, school was buzzing with excitement. The moment Kyle and I exited the parking lot, we could hear talks about the Winter Ball. Flyers were already posted up and I could only imagine what inside must look like.

Jackson and his buddies were at their usual spot in the lot, and I waved at Alicia who began to walk towards us the moment she saw me.

“Hey Lyla! GIRL, I NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP. I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT TO WEAR TO THE BALL!” She wailed grabbing my arms.

My eyes widen in shock and Kyle chuckled beside me. “You girls go before me, I need a moment with Jackson.” Kyle declares.

“What?” I snapped glancing at him. He was staring pass me and I followed his line of sight to see Jackson giving him a heads up. His blue orbs fell on me then before he slowly looked away. We haven't spoken since Mr.Weebly’s class because things were still awkward.

I turned back to Kyle with raise brows.  “Kyle?”

“Why do you look so shooked Lyla, it's just my brother.” Alicia asks in concern.

You say that because you don't know what happened between us before.

“Lyla I'm not going to cause trouble. Just trust me.” Kyle reassured and kissed my forehead before walking towards them.

I frowned while Alicia pulled me towards the entrance doors. What reason could Kyle possibly have for speaking to Jackson? I thought he was over the fact that I had to ditch him the other day...

“Did something happen with my brother when you guys met?” Alicia asks, her face showing her curiosity clearly.

I opened my mouth to answer when a blur of red hair came between us suddenly. “Winter Ball is choosing the best dressed female student to be apart of a Vogue magazine photoshoot. I'm  charging you two to vote for me.” Selena declares, her chin held high in confidence.

“Um, okay.” Alicia says cringing.

We watched her walked off, swaying her wide hips from side to side in silence. Seconds after I shook my head in disbelief.

“Wow.” I exclaimed.

“I know right. Let's go.” Alicia says, then we proceed to our lockers.

Continue reading! I made sure to give you guys two extra chappys!