Chapter Twenty-Three

“Found you!” Kyle yells, startling me by grabbing my feet and pulling me out from under the bed.

I yelped when he climbed on top of me and rolled my eyes at his childish grin. “Okay fine. You're dangerous.” I deadpanned.

“No need to be a sore loser Lyla,” he teased, then his eyes found the photo in my hand and his smile immediately fell. “D-did you look through my box?” he asked grabbing the photo from me and removing himself from over me.

I quickly rose to my feet, feeling guilty for spying on his photo. “N-no it was just sticking out. I'm sorry... It's just, I recognize him. He's the owner of-”

“Vision. Yeah I know.” he interrupted and sat on the edge of his bed.

I joined him. “Why do you have his photo?” I enquired. I found it incredibly weird that he has such a casual looking photo. Mr. Harrington seems to be in his prime of good looks within the time that photo was taken.

Kyle seemed to be in his thoughts before he responded. “Because I look up to him. I follow his business alot.” he answered.

I scoffed. “Wow, I think I underestimated how much you really love that company...,” I trailed off, as a new curiosity began to cloud my mind. I wasn't very willing to ask Kyle questions simply because he always seem to flip out. However, I can't help but feel like something was...Uncanny.

“What else is in that box?” I asked studying him.

He moistened his lips and fiddled his thumbs. “Um, just some of my childhood photos. I'm not like obsessed with the man or anything like that.” he answered keeping a passive expression.

I hummed in response before asking, “Do you know his son?”

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “N-no. But eventually you will right?” he asked.

I stared down at my fingers. “I guess so.”

“Lyla,” he called and I met his eyes, surprised by the fear in them. “Who am I to you?”

The question caught me off guard and I furrowed my brows in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“When you think of me...Who do you see?”

I hesitated, searching the depths of his eyes. He was searching for something. As if he needed to hear it....

My heart accelerated but I forced a smiled and reached to hold his hands. “I see Kyle Andrews...The guy I love.” I whispered.

He stared at me for a long time. So long, I could barely keep his gaze because I felt so awkward. However when I began looked away, he held my chin and brought my lips to his. “I love you too Lyla.” he whispered against my lips and then proceed to deepen his kiss.

And it was perfect.

※※※※※※※※

It was Wednesday night when I found some inspiration to paint after so long. My father was still out at work and I was home alone with a bunch of emails requesting new paintings for the gallery.

The client in Spain has been growing impatient and needs a fresh new art soon, to showcase at a gala he is hosting.

My peice started out a bit abstract at first. However the moment I dabbled in some baby blue paint, a certain jock came to mind. So I faded his face into the background of the mixture of colours to create an eerie look about him.

It was how I thought about him. Handsome yet strange and dangerous. He was intimidating to me in some sorts, even though I don't believe he would hurt me.

My ringtone broke through my thoughts and I placed my tools on my work table then reached for my phone to answer it.

Moses.

“Hey what's up?” I answered casually.

“Have you seen the website lately?” he asks lowly.

I furrowed my brows and immediately proceed to exit my studio. I left my computer on the island in the kitchen earlier when I was completing my literature homework.

“What happened?” I asked suddenly feeling frantic. My laptop came up and I immediately searched for Vision’s website.

“Mr. Harrington took me off the task. He says Johnathan decides to come clean. It's been over the news twice since day already and now reporters keep calling asking me to give inside information about who Johnathan really is.” he explained, the frustration seeping through his voice.

My eyes widen when I saw that they placed a question sign where Johnathan’s image should be. Above it was a large title in all caps saying: “To be revealed at Vector Academy Winter Ball.”

I gasped. “Vector academy?” I asked slightly confused.

“Your school does uphold a certain reputation. However, I find it weird too. I'm thinking maybe be came to look for you Lyla.” Moses suggest.

I scoffed. “Me? Moses, you're the only one who knew my identity.”

“Yeah but think about it. He could easily track you down regardless. Out of all the places, he stopped at Virginia Beach...Now he's revealing himself at your school. You're the only partner Vision has in those areas.” he explains.

As I connected the dots to each clue a new curiosity burst through me. Why would Johnathan see the need to hunt me down? Why go through this trouble to meet me? Was this about the deal to Spain? The fact that I don't know how he looks scares the crap out of me and makes this situation much harder.

“Oh my goodness.” I whispered and dropped back onto the stool behind me.

Moses sighed. “You’re his target Lyla. I'm beginning to think he is closer than you think.” he warns.

“Should I be scared? When are you coming back here? You know how he looks, this would be much easier.”

“I’m sorry Lyla. Mr.Harrington wiped away all his photos from my phone and back-ups. I'm actually going to head to Europe by the end of the week until things blow off here in New York. Just keep your eyes open Lyla.” he replied.

I sighed and then picked at the sides of my fingers nervously. “That’s exactly what I intend to do.”

Smiles

Smiles.

-With Love, Chan.