Chapter Twenty-Nine

It was like a merage of memories came crashing through my mind. All the clues I've missed rotated through my head so quickly that I began to blame myself for being so naive.

Suddenly everything made sense. The reason he wanted to be my friend so badly, why he always spoke so highly of Vision, why he became interested in me painting him, why he never spoke much about his father's business, why he didn't have social media and lived alone here. Mr. Harrington’s photo under his bed, was just his real life that he tried to hide away from me.

And for what?

"Lyla," Jackson called from behind me, but my attention was on him. He stood on the stage, silence dripping in the room, and his eyes began to scan the crowd. He was looking for me.

I've never felt more betrayed. How do I trust anything he says? My anxiety skyrocketed when I thought about the deal to live in Spain. This is the reason why I was chosen. Kyle-Johnathan- wanted to trap me there for himself.

The crowd finally began to cheer and applaud him for being the liar that he was and I began to feel sick to my stomach.

He wasn't real. My Kyle wasn't real.

"Oh my gosh Lyla!" Someone's hands were gripping my shoulders however, I felt so shaken I couldn't properly tell who it was. My mind was slamming with a thousand thoughts all at once and I knew I was having a panic attack.

"Jackson, we have to get her out of here," the voice said. It sounded like Alicia...

"I know. Ensure Kyle doesn't stop us. I'll take her." Jackson was holding my arms now and he turned me to face him. My blurry eyes met his and he pulled me into his chest and began to walk me out.

"You're going to okay. Just breathe." he whispered, and shoved the gym door opened.

I over heard a frantic call behind me from Johnathan, a protest from Alicia and then the echoing of the gym door slamming shut. All three sounds made me cringe visibly and I shoved myself out of Jackson's hold to stand and get a grip of myself.

"It was all a lie Jackson. He lied to me. For months." I whispered, scoffing at myself for being so naive all this time. "How come I didn't see it?" I asked meeting his eyes.

He clenched his jaw. "None of us saw it Lyla. And just because you didn't, doesn't mean you're stupid."

"Then what does it mean? I should have seen it."

"It means you trusted him. But now the truth is out. And you have to deal with it Ly. This one is all up to you. Let me take you home, unless you want to confront him now. In this state." Jackson stated firmly.

I bit my lip, and nodded in response. The more I thought about how messed up this situation was, the more I wanted to bawl my eyes out.

He shrugged his jacket off and swung it around my shoulders as we neared the exit. I smiled somewhat bitterly at his kindness. "Now we know why he asked you for that favor." I muttered.

Jackson paused at the exit door to glance at me thoughtfully. "I would have done so even if he didn't ask." he admits.

He drove me home in a Jeep he rented for the ball, and I remained silent the entire ride. With my emotions tossing within me, I thought about what move I will make next. Kyle turned out to be my own boss. He was leaving for New York on Sunday, and now I'm forced to make a decision, as to whether or not I want to remain involved with him.

How do I continue what we have together? This is exactly why he wanted me to make that promise. To fight for us. In all honesty, I can already tell I'm losing this fight.