Flashbacks

-The day Natasha was asked to adopt Lola-

The red-haired woman enters Nick Fury's office.
He had called her in, saying that he had one of the most important missions that he had ever assigned her waiting, and she was intrigued.
Barton had saved her, but Fury had been the person who agreed to pardon her, recruit her, give her a place in the world.

She would do almost anything for him.

"What do need from me sir? She said, striding foreword and stopping in front of the man's desk. He looked up from his paperwork and nodded.

"Natasha. You know me better than most. You know me more personally than hardly anyone can say. But I'm the director. I'm paid to keep secrets. And I'm going to share one with you now.
I have been training a young girl to be a agent when she is a adult.
But I couldn't raise her.
So for the past two years, I had another one of my trusted agents act as her guardian and teacher."

Natasha nods, a bit confused on why Fury is telling her this.

"The reason I decided to recruit her was part of the same reason I agreed to recruit you.
She is dangerous.
And also, a extreme mystery."

Natasha is surprised, but also a bit disbelieving. A young girl being as dangerous as she is? Unless she came from the red room, Natasha doubts it.

Fury sighs, and stands up, going to the window, facing away from Natasha.

"After the situation with Stark and the Expo back in 2010, after everyone had gone home, I sent that same agent who raised the girl to the Expo arena, to supervise cleanup. It was supposed to be a quiet night. But it wasn't. That agent found a mysterious little girl sitting cross legged on the cement, using telekinesis to lift over 500 pounds of rubble over her head."

Natasha's eyes widen, and Fury continues.

"That little girl had basically appeared out of thin air. I used every possible resource and database to find even a single trace of her, but there was nothing.
Oh, and she had a extremely difficult temper. And her power was very strong, making her deadly to almost all the people around her.
Oddly enough, the only person that she would listen to, was the agent that found her. So I asked them to assess her, and they came to the conclusion that though she had a foul mood, she was trainable, and that agent strongly believed that she could be a possible future Avenger when she was older."

Natasha's mouth opens slightly, and she took a step foreword.

"So I told that agent, that if they thought she was so valuable, it would be their job to raise and train her.

And the agent did just that. For two years they raised and trained the little girl, and eventually her mood improved, and she became more disciplined. And not shockingly, the agent and the little girl became very close, and developed a relationship similar to father and daughter."

Fury turns around to face Natasha, his face saddened, but firm.

"Natasha, that agent was Phil Coulson."

Natasha gasps, a hand flying to her mouth, eyes wide. She couldn't believe that such a large secret had been kept from her. She was also worried. Coulson's death had saddened her, but this was even worse, the fact that he had been a father figure to a little girl, and now that he was gone, she would be all alone.