Matchstick

The next morning

"Come on Elizabeth." Cassandra said softly, pulling Elizabeth to her feet, off of the bathroom floor. Cassandra led the Elizabeth to the beds, helping her sit on one, before pulling the chest with Elizabeth's clothes out from under the cot. She opened it, and though her eyes widened at the sight of the sheathed Katana laying there, she did not question it, instead pulling out a pair of underwear, a sports bra, and the combat training uniform and boots, setting them in Elizabeth's lap.

"Can you manage showering and dressing on your own?" Cassandra said softly to Elizabeth.

"Yes." Elizabeth said, slowly rising to her feet and entering the bathroom, shutting the door.

She pulled off her nightgown and underwear, undoing her two braids and turning on the water. She found that no matter what way she turned she shower handle, the water stayed its same ice cold temperature. She climbed in anyway, letting the cold water wash over her as she washed her long black hair, and the tear stains from her face.

She climbed out again, and grabbed one of the two thin towels that hung from a metal bar clamped to the wall, quickly drying off. She pulled her underwear on quickly, holding her head high as so to not see the scar, throwing on her bra and black cargo pants. She pulled her black t-shirt on, and then pulled on the black button up, buttoning it, and then throwing on her socks and boots. She exited the bathroom, sitting back down on the cot and putting her nightgown down on the newly made bed, which Cassandra must have done.

"Ok I'll only take a moment." Cassandra said, entering the bathroom and shutting the door.

Elizabeth stared blankly into space, her hand unconsciously going to rest on her stomach.

She really was her mother's daughter.

But this, this was her chance to be different. She would choose. Her and her team would only do good work. Only kill bad people. She would be a hero.

She stood up and walked over to the window, throwing the dark curtains open, and immediately squinting at the bright light. As her grey eyes adjusted, she look out in surprise.

The world outside of The Academy was white, fat snowflakes falling gently past the frosty pane. They were very high above the ground, and Elizabeth understood why. There was no escape. You climbed out that window, and you would slip and fall. You would die on the snowy ground, and the white would not be white anymore.

There was no point in escaping.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Cassandra said softly, coming up and standing next to Elizabeth.

"Yes. Beautiful." Elizabeth muttered, turning away from the window.

"Here. Let me put your hair in a bun really quick." Cassandra said, and Elizabeth turned around, and noticed that Cassandra's thick curly hair was in a tight bun. She nodded, and Cassandra led her to the edge of one of the beds, quickly pulling Elizabeth's long black hair into a large, tight bun.

"Alright. We have to start the morning with training, and then we are allowed food." Cassandra said, and Elizabeth nodded, walking to the door of their bedroom. She opened it, and suddenly every single one of the girls sitting in the living room stood up.

"It's alright." Elizabeth said softly, and they all relaxed.

"Oh. See those rifles and gloves over there? We are doing outside training today. Command everyone to grab their gear, and get in a line." Cassandra whispered to Elizabeth.

"Grab your gear and get in a line by the door." Elizabeth ordered, and 21 of the girls moved rapidly, following her orders till only Helena, Cassandra, and Elizabeth remained.