Defence

Being John Shelby's wife meant nobody was messing with you. Especially the locals. They all knew to not speak to you unless you had spoken to them. Of course that was the rule that your husband had put in force.

"And what can I get you Mrs Shelby?" Harry asked you as the cigarette dragged from your mouth.

"Coca cola Harry." You smirked.

"Really?" He questioned with an eyebrow raised.

"Now Harry, you've known me all these years and not once have I come in here for a fucking Coca Cola. I'll have the usual." You put your cigarette out and handed him two shillings.

"That won't be necessary Mrs Shelby, on the house." He handed you the whiskey and ice.

"Now where can I get myself a bird like you?" A man stood beside you, taking his hat off to greet you.

"I'll have you know I'm off markets. Keep your dick in your pants and jog on." You scoffed, getting ready to take your drink into the booth where the Shelby men liked to hideout in. You knew all four of them were in there, the door wouldn't be shut otherwise.

"I like my women feisty." He grinned.

"You best get away from her." Harry warned him.

"And what's a poxy barman like you gonna do about it? You can barely make a decent pint let alone stop me from getting with this fine specimen." You smacked him across the face.

"Ere there was no need for that love." He commented.

"Ever heard of the Shelby's?" You asked him and he gulped.

"They killed half me friends." He admitted and you chuckled.

"And one of em's about to kill you." You chuckled, he looked at you confused.

"They may have killed them but they ain't got nothing on me." He started to get cocky and you raised an eyebrow at him.

"Darling you don't know how we roll in Birmingham. I mean you're not from ere right? You're from London. I remember sending me husband down to kill ya good old pal Matthew Colt." His face suddenly burst red and he pinned you against the wall.

"So you're a Shelby huh?" He asked, putting a hand to your neck.

"I'll tell ya now, I know how to fight." You kicked him straight in the balls and he let go of you.

"You good for nothing bitch!" He shouted, aiming to punch you but you ducked it and he put his hand through the wall. John must've heard the commotion and the four brothers opened the door to the booth and saw what was going on.

"I'm actually amazing in bed sweetheart." You smiled, grabbing your pocket knife and holding it to his neck.

"You wouldn't." His voice trembled.

"You're right she wouldn't." John gently lifted you up and placed a kiss on your lips.

"But you've messed with the wrong fucking family." John grabbed the man by his shoulder and violently pulled him up.

"Please don't hurt me." He begged and John looked at you and you both began laughing.

"Darling, hurt ain't nothing. Getting your eyes bladed out sounds ever so exciting." You smiled.

"Whatever my lass wants, my lass gets." John winked at you and the two older Shelby brothers escorted the flirtatious creep out of the bar.

"Love you babe. That's my girl for sticking up for yourself." He made you blush before exiting himself.

"That's what you get for messing with a Shelby." One of the locals raised a glass and all the others followed along.

"I'll drink to that lads." You downed your whiskey and carried on with your day.