Chapter 9

Kieran paced in front of Master's office. He had no idea what Master wanted to talk about and he felt worried that he was being blamed for letting Forest go. Kieran squeezed his eyes shut as the memory of Forest's berranged face and raised weapon came to him. With the vision, also came his words. It was scary how much this had impacted him.

    Suddenly, Master's door flew open. Kieran's caregiver, Jonathan, exited and held open the door for Kieran. He took in a shaky breath and entered the small artificially lit room. It was only Kieran, Jonathan and Master in the small cluttered office.

    Candles were lit and placed on Master's desk, which had a stack of papers on it. The room also had a filing cabinet and a chair, which was the one Kieran was supposed to sit in.   Master sat at his desk, his face complacent. Kieran slowly lowered himself into the chair opposite him. Jonathan stood by the door like a shadow, he was barely there.

    "Hello Kieran," Master slowly greeted him. "Do you know why I asked you to be here?"
The man was the definition of seren. He sat there calm and collected.

    Kieran gulped and shook his head. "No."
Although he was calm, this somehow made him more intimidating and scary.

    Master peered at him, a brief moment of silence, then he spoke, "Due to certain circumstances, my plan needs to move forward."

    "By circumstances, you mean Forest leaving?" Master slowly nodded. "I don't get what's so important about that, why can't we say he died? Or send people after him or something." It was what they usually did, so he didn't understand what was different about Forest. He didn't like the thought of Forest being considered special. Kieran didn't mess up his first mission, but Forest did and here he was getting special treatment.

    Master patiently waited for Kieran to slow down. "It's not that simple, Forest is a major threat to us. While we may usually send troops after him in events like this, this time around I need all the men I can get for my plan."

    Kieran sat up and adjusted his position, then sat back in the chair. "See I also don't get that, what is your plan exactly?"

    Master and Jonathan exchanged looks. "Very well, I will tell you, seeing as your going to play a part in it."

    Kieran furrowed his brow. He had no idea what was happening, but he didn't speak and let Master continue. "All you need to know right now is that we are going to build a better future by taking down Ferrum," Kieran had heard something similar multiple times before but Master continued to speak, "We can't do it alone, so I need you to go to the neighboring town and bring me back animax users."

    Kieran's jaw hung open. "Let me get this clear, you want me to go to Auxilium and bring you back animax users?!" Kieran knew that animax users were powerful. They could manipulate people with eye contact and whispering a word. He also knew that people didn't like them very much. As a result people often called animax users Inks as a means of insulting them, because of their mark. You can tell when someone has an animax when they have a mark that was given to them at birth and represents the power they have. The Silver Blades had a few members that possessed the power. They proved to be a great asset, so it made sense as to why Master wanted him to go to Auxilium, as it was a small town that harbored animax users.

    "You are correct, you and Jonathan can take a small team and head out tomorrow."

    Kieran stood up and nodded, then Jonathan opened the door and Kieran left the office.

    "Who should we take?" Kieran turned around and faced Jonathan, who had spoke.

    Kieran shrugged. "Doesn't matter to me."