Chapter 30

Sophia's basement had changed dramatically since Forest and Kieran had arrived. There was now a table in the middle of the small room. A map hung on the wall and papers littered the tabletop. Kieran and Forest, along with a few town members, all huddled around the small table and its contents.

A middle aged man looked up from the papers and at Kieran. "So you're saying they're going after City hall and Guardian HQ next?"

Kieran nodded. "That' what I heard at least. I think that it's our best shot."

Forest nodded in agreement with the two. "We can form two groups and then head out. In the meantime we have to train the town and figure out how to get more manpower."

Kieran took two pins and stuck them in two points on the map, one on City hall and the other on Guardian HQ. "Speaking of manpower, do you know where everyone else from Proelia went?"

Forest shrugged sadly. Suddenly feeling tense, Forest put his hand up to his neck. "No. I saw most of the students piling onto a plane, but I have no idea what happened to Wyatt or Jack or...Melody."

Kieran noticed Forest's face staring into space. He could tell that the topic was bothering Forest. "Alright I think we're done here." He eyed Forest then looked over at Rai who was in the corner of the room. She was definitely paying attention to the conversation, but she tried to act nonchalant. "Rai. You want to help me chop wood to rebuild the homes?"

Rai narrowed her eyes at him. Kieran could tell that gears were turning in her head, she had realized something. Kieran hoped she didn't know he was there when they took her. He hoped that if she did know, she would forgive him. If it were any of the other townspeople he wouldn't have given it the slightest thought, but he actually enjoyed Rai. They had worked closely together these last few days, planning and reconstructing the homes. He enjoyed her company, but maybe now all that time was biting him in ass. The more time they spent together, the more she put the pieces together.

Rai got up from her chair and followed him up the ladder. Before they exited the house, Rai swiftly grabbed two hatchets on their way out the door. As they walked down the dirt path, Rai handed him a hatchet. Kieran felt uncomfortable with the silence and awkwardly put his free hand in his pocket.

The silence seemed to last forever. He felt slightly better when they reached the edge of the pathway. He knew it would still be awkward, but at least he would have something to distract himself with. Rai eyed his awkward stance as they walked on the grass and towards the beginning of the woods. Kieran approached a nearby tree and adjusted his grip on his hatchet.
Just as his hands choked up on the handle of the weapon, Rai spoke, "You were here before, weren't you?"

Her eyes narrowed as she eyed him. Kieran cleared his throat and then lowered the hatchet. His shoulders slightly slumped and his face was gloomy as he whispered, "Yes." He was definitely ashamed of what he did. He thought it was weird since he's done worse...

Rai threw the hatchet to the ground and it's blade lodged itself into the ground. She advanced towards him. "Did you burn down our homes?" Tears clinged to the outer corners of her eyes and her voice was hushed as if it the words stung her throat.

Kieran looked up at her. "No." At the time he was upset with Jonathan for not handing him a lighter, but now he was grateful. He was slightly innocent.

Rai nodded. "Were you there when I was taken?"

Kieran opened his mouth, but nothing came out. His face looked guilty as he managed a soft, "Yes."

"So you're a Silver Blade?" Her voice was accusing.

Kieran stepped forward. "I was, but not anymore. I realized what they were actually planning."

Rai hardly listened to the rest of his sentence before she asked, "Do you know where my brother is?"

Kieran slightly shook his head and looked up at her in confusion. "What?"

"Do you know where my brother is?!" She yelled. Anger had suddenly overwhelmed her.

"N-no I don't know what your talking about," Rai closed her eyes and clenched her fists. "What are you talking about? What's wrong?" He was so confused. He wanted to help her, but she was obviously mad at him. Kieran didn't know why though.

Rai opened her eyes and looked at him. The look on her face chilled him to his core. She looked utterly calm and yet angry at the same time. "My brother went missing right after my parents died. They told me to stay with him and I need to find him."

Kieran had a feeling that her brother was dead and she was hopelessly searching. He stepped forward and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. She looked at him with distrust and he backed off. Kieran's face turned into sadness and disappointment. "Well I had nothing to do with it." He felt hurt that she thought he was responsible for her missing brother. She was treating him as if he were a monster and he hated it. He then held the hatchet with both hands and went to work on a nearby tree. It took all of his willpower he could muster to not look at her.

Rai's expression suggested that she felt bad. After all he wasn't the one that burnt down the homes and he wasn't the one that kidnapped her, but he also didn't prevent it from happening. He did all of this against his will and was making up for it. Kieran could tell was desperate for an answer and she had placed the blame on Kieran. He didn't blame her though.

After Kieran had successfully chopped down a tree, Rai had stopped working on her own tree. She stood and looked at him as he looked at the fallen tree. When he noticed that she was watching him, his eyes darted towards hers. He was definitely weirded out.

She put her hands on her hips. "Ok I'm sorry. And since your my friend and you know me, you know that was hard for me to say."

Kieran straightened, things had taken a turn. "I know." He crossed his arms and looked at her.

"I don't blame you and I don't hate you," She said it very matter of factly.

Kieran held his gaze. "Why? Why do you not hate me?" He was here and he didn't stop the destruction. So why?

Rai shrugged. "I dunno. I just think that you weren't willingly a Silver Blade. Plus I was one too so..."

Kieran nodded in understanding. "I know. They make you do pretty bad stuff, don't they?"

"Ohhh yeah." There was a pause where they smiled at each other with the common ground they had found. 

The two walked back towards the houses with stacks of chopped wood. They were chatting and smiling about random things. Kieran felt complacent. Rai wasn't mad at him and he still had his friend.

Kieran set down the wood next to the empty shell of an in progress home. Rai smiled at him as he straightened and met her eye. His smile matched hers. Her smile then turned into a concerned frown. There was chattering coming from the edge of the wheat field. A group was gathered around something.

Kieran looked at the crowd, also concerned. Rai made her way towards the huddle of townspeople and Kieran saw Forest exit the house. When Kieran noticed Forest's shocked face, he began to make his way towards the crowd.