Chapter 34

Forest explained their plan to everyone. "I was thinking that Julianne, Lovette, Wyatt, Jack, and a few townspeople could head to the Guardian HQ while the rest of us go to City Hall."

Everyone seemed to agree as they all nodded their heads.

Jack sat in the corner, glaring. Then he spoke, "Just because I'm going along with your plan, doesn't mean that I don't hate you. I'm doing this for Ferrum and Wyatt."

Forest nodded, and because he didn't want to start another fight, just said, "Acknowledged."

Jack looked offended that he was so casually waved away, but didn't speak another word.

"Now, our numbers..." Kieran brought up.

"Proelia has a procedure they need to follow when something like this happens. They bring all the students to a safe bunker thing," Julianne interjected.

Everyone turned to look at her. "Where?" Forest asked, filled with hope and curiosity.

Julianne shrugged. "I don't know.They didn't have to use it since I've been at Proelia."

"So, we could have the entirety of Proelia on our side, if we can somehow contact them..." Forest held his chin, deep in thought.

"Whatever we do, we cannot contact them. We'll be tracked. We also shouldn't use any public transportation as they have that under control as well, not that either of those is going to be a problem as this town is so remote..." Kieran trailed off.

"Maybe we just sit around and hope that they'll find us," Wyatt suggested. His tone of voice suggested sarcasm.

"We don't have the time for that," Jack grumpily interjected.

Wyatt sat up. "I was being sarcastic." He seemed a little offended that Jack was taking out his frustrations with Forest on him.

"Alright, we'll sleep on it and recuperate later." Forest nodded in determination as he ended their meeting.

Slowly they all climbed up the ladder, back into the upper floor.

Forest found Sophia in the kitchen. She was preparing medicine. "How's her condition?"

Sophia didn't look up at him as she replied. "She's stable. I'll keep doing what I can, but there's only so much I can do without any medical equipment."

Forest nodded in understanding. "I appreciate everything your doing."

He slightly frowned when he heard a repetitive noise. Forest grabbed an axe and made his way over towards the cluster of trees at the end of the dirt path. He saw Jack chopping away at a tree. He looked very tired as he continually swung the axe. Forest had saw how much Jack was wearing himself out, after all he had been taking his anger out on the trees a lot lately..

Jack was angry at the world, but mostly Forest. He blamed him for everything nowadays. He knew that was a bad thing to do, but there wasn't anyone else. Forest was the one that was closest to them and had connections to the Silver Blades. He continued to swing his axe at the nearby tree. His anger energized him. His thoughts fueling him as he hacked away at the trunk of a tree.

Jack was now more determined than ever to bring down the Silver Blades. He knew he needed Forest and holding a grudge wouldn't be helpful. Jack decided that if Forest was still with the Silver Blades, he would go down as well. If not, then he was wrong. Either way he should probably make a truce with him, no matter how much danger he may or may not have posed on his family and friends. Although, he didn't know if he could ever let that go.

Forest made his way down the dirt pathway to join Jack. He stopped before Jack, who eyed him skeptically. "What are you doing here, I said I got it." Although he wanted a truce, he wasn't ready to let Forest take over his territory.

Forest shrugged. "I know, but you looked like you were dying."

"Well I'm fine." He then went back to chopping down the tree before him. His shirt was drenched with sweat and his hair was matted to his forehead.

Forest stepped closer to a nearby tree. "We're on the verge of war, Jack. There's no time for petty grudges."

Jack stopped chopping and straightened. "Petty? Petty?! You were a criminal!" He then stopped himself and took a deep breath to calm himself. His chest slightly heaved in an effort to stabilize his breathing.

"I don't want to fight you at a time like this, but yes. I used to be a Silver Blade. Key word: Used to. Past tense. It happened and now I'm not anymore."

Jack dropped the axe and when he looked at Forest he looked completely exhausted. "I still didn't like the fact you kept that from us. It felt like you were purposely keeping it a secret. Which is suspicious."

Forest let out a long breath. "I didn't really mention it because I wanted to forget. I also didn't think it was that important."

"Well you have to understand that I have a younger brother that I'm responsible for."

"I know, and that's why I'm here to apologize. I'm sorry that I put you guys in danger by keeping that secret. I honestly thought it wasn't important, but you thought otherwise and I didnt take that into account." Forest's face reflected how sorry he was.

Jack nodded. "Thank you. I'm sorry as well, for punching you."

Forest smiled and stuck out his hand.  A smile tugged at the corner of Jack's lips as he shook Forest's hand.