Chapter 23

Leaves crunched beneath their feet as the group walked through the woods. Forest led the group through the trees, as he was the only that knew where the Silver Blades were. The day before they went to the market and bought supplies. He wasn't really focused on getting supplies that day as he was still distraught from Damon's escape. In an attempt to make him feel better for losing his dagger, Melody had given him a new one.
It was a small black dagger with a sleek handle and sharp blade. It felt uncomfortable in his hand as he fidgeted with it in his hand from nervousness.

    They all had met that morning and went over the plan as well as last minute preparations, such as sharpening their weapons. Forest's arm had healed fast and so his arm was no longer bandaged. They waited a while before leaving and the sun was now setting and casting a dark purple shadow over their surroundings.

    Forest hoped that they hadn't upped their security since he left. He looked over at Melody who was focused on something in the distance, her face set in determination. Everyone was silent, the air felt tense, he was even nervous himself as he wiped his palms on his pants.

    The shadow of the abandoned warehouse emerged through the trees. Forest took a deep breath in, but steadily continued to lead everyone. He stopped just before the entrance, then shuffled off to the side so that they weren't seen.  Forest turned and then nodded at everyone, determined looks were given to him in response. He took his dagger off his back, pausing and looking at the unfamiliar shape and colour of his new weapon. Everyone else drew  their weapons and moved into position. Forest looked up from the dagger to see the retreating backs of Julianne and Jack. Melody's concerned eyes poured into his, he suddenly felt confident and then entered the warehouse.

    It looked the same as when he left. He suddenly felt uneasy, the halls were completely empty and it felt eerie to him. Nonetheless he continued to walk down the halls with Jack and Julianne ahead of him, until there was a fork in the hall. Forest looked over at the two and nodded in encouragement, and with that the two had disappeared behind the dingy concrete wall.

    Melody began to walk down the left hallway, she looked at all the doors in curiosity. Forest knew that the first few rooms wouldn't hold her sister, so they walked on.

    Melody looked over at him. "So, this is where you grew up, huh?"

    Forest nodded. He knew that she was trying to calm him down and lighten up the mood, but something felt off. This was too easy.

    Melody reached for the door close to her, but then her head snapped up at the sound of footsteps coming from up ahead. Forest was frozen to the ground, his fear getting the best of him. Melody too didn't seem to want to budge from her spot either.

    Forest exhaled as the sight of Jack came into their view. He nodded behind him, Melody's eyes widened with realization and she jogged down the hall. Forest reluctantly followed, something seemed very off. He was glad that they had found her but he had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach.

    He turned the corner to see Jack enter the middle door. Forest caught up to Melody just as she reached the room. Melody was frozen in the doorway, tears of joy slipped down her face as she dropped her axe on the floor then ran towards her disheveled sister.

     Forest looked in the room. There, in the middle of the small concrete room, was a wooden chair where a young woman was tied to it. The woman had large messy curly hair and the same brown eyes as Melody, her face was dirty along with her clothing.

    Jack and Julianne stood behind the chair, untying her, while Melody cried and hugged her sister. Forest stepped over the discarded axe and into the small room. "Don't you think this was... a little too easy?" He asked with skepticism.