Chapter 40

Forest gulped and stared at the familiar face of Damon. The memories came flooding back. The interrogation room, the explosion, his escape, but most importantly what he had said to Damon.

He snarled, "I wasn't lying when I said I would kill you."

Damon laughed. "I'd hoped so, this'll make this fight so much more interesting."

Anger boiled inside of him. How nonchalant he was about all of this. Forest swung his dagger as hard as he could. The Blade sliced through the air, but impacted nothing. Damon had dodged. As Forest was about to viciously swing again, Melody was now standing before him. He was confused, his vision had deceived him. His arm slowed down and he stumbled backwards, trying to get away. He didn't know what was going on and didn't want to do something he might regret.

The vision of Melody stood before him, looking confused. "What's wrong?" She asked in a soothing tune. It was drawing him in and yet something was telling him to stay away. He knew this wasn't really her, he had experienced Damon's animax before.

Not knowing what to do, his feet remained grounded. He shook his head, "Whatever you are, you're not Melody..."

Her expression darkened. Fear jolted inside of him. Melody was no longer Melody and Damon now stood before him again. "Not good enough, huh?" He lunged forwards and deeply sliced Forest's arm.

He drew back in pain as his arm stung. He gritted his teeth. When he looked back up at Damon, he only saw Mr. Marcus. Forest was confused, why would he go from Melody to his teacher?

Mr. Marcus noticed his lack of reaction. "So, you don't know," he shrugged. "I guess no one told you what your parents looked like. After all you were with us and we didn't tell you a thing."

Forest straightened a little, his interest piqued. "What are you talking about? I already know what happened."

The form of Mr. Marcus smiled. Forest knew this wasn't the real Mr. Marcus, but he still didn't know the extent of Damon's animax. He took a shot in the dark and kicked his arm.

He dropped his weapon to the ground. "I would think twice before striking again. I am your dear old father after all."

Forest stabbed his shoulder. Forest's eyes widened as he registered what he said. "What?!" He was just as shocked as anyone once they found out their teacher was actually their dad.

Damon's facade had faltered. He looked up through the pain, his hand covering his bleeding shoulder. Forest striked again, aiming for his forehead. He dodged, but didn't retaliate. Forest kept jabbing, but it wasn't his lucky day. He kept missing and he soon became desperate. His moves became frantic and unplanned. By this time Damon had picked up his weapon and blocked Forest's feeble attempts. The sound of the swords clashing echoed in Forest's head. Damon ducked underneath Forest's dagger and grabbed his ankle. He collided with the ground, his head throbbing from impact.

Damon stood menacingly over him. "You could never beat me, even as a kid." It seemed like there was a slight smile on his lips from the memory.

Forest narrowed his eyes. Damon smirked and leaned forwards, weapon in hand, about to stab Forest. The tip of Damon's weapon hovered over his forehead. His chest heaved as the thought of his demise occurred to him. Death was looking right at him.

He abruptly pulled himself out of his dark thoughts. It was like emerging from water. His foot collided with Damon's stomach. He stumbled backwards, clutching his stomach. Forest picked himself off the ground and looked right into Damon's eyes. He threw his dagger before Damon could react. The dagger collided with Damon's weapon, knocking both blades to the ground.

He ran towards Damon as he began to reach for the weapons. Forest quickly scooped them both off the ground and slid on the ground. He slid right past Damon and quickly stood up behind him. As Forest raised his dagger, Damon looked back at him in fear. He plunged his dagger into Damon's back, "Thanks for nothing." He pushed the dagger further in his back.

Damon's eyes went lifeless as Forest pulled the dagger out of him. It's metal coated in blood. The body collapsed to the ground and Forest let out a sigh of relief and exasperation.

He turned around and surveyed the battle field, his eyes scanning for Mr. Marcus.