Chapter 39

Kieran stood before Jonathan. His face was cold, like always. He was stern and quiet, menacing to others. Kieran never thought he was scary. This man had raised him. Even now, in the midst of battle, he still wasn't afraid of Jonathan. He was the man that made Kieran smile when he was sad. He taught Kieran all he knew, but that meant he was in charge of the mission that killed his parents.

He remembered falling down and scraping his knees. Jonathan helped him up and wouldn't let him stop, he made him keep going. Eventually Kieran had stayed up late at night to train so in the morning Jonathan would have a reason to be proud of him. With all his hard work, he never said those words to him.

"Come back to us," Jonathan said, his expression remained the same. His sword by his side.

Kieran shook his head. "I can't do that."

Jonathan nodded. "I understand. Just promise me that you won't hold this against me."

He shrugged. "Maybe one day I'll forgive you."

Jonathan nodded. Kieran threw his kunai at him. He held up his sword and each one collided with it and sadly landed on the ground.

"Tsk tsk Kieran. I thought you had more in you. Did I teach you nothing?

Kieran cracked his knuckles. "Unfortunately, no."

"I know you have more than that in you." He was encouraging Kieran to fight his hardest. As usual.

He ran forwards and threw a punch. As Jonathan dodged, Kieran swiftly picked up his Kunai from the ground. He wasn't quick enough and Jonathan had caught his arm with the edge of his weapon. His arm began to bleed but he simply stood before Jonathan. Kieran threw another punch. It hit Jonathan square in the jaw. His lip began to bleed. Jonathan kicked him backwards and swung his sword. Kieran dodged and threw his Kunai again.

The small metal blade had lodged itself in Jonathan's arm. He looked down at it and chuckled. "Is this the best you can do?" He plucked it out of his skin, blood coated it. Jonathan threw the thing to the ground and smirked at Kieran.

Kieran didn't reply. Jonathan stepped forwards and stabbed his shoulder. It felt like a slap, a weird feeling, but it didn't fail to bleed. His shirt was becoming stained. Then it settled in and his shoulder began to throb. Jonathan clutched his other shoulder for balance as he tried to push the weapon in further. His Kunai were now between his fingers. He threw another punch. The metal had cut Jonathan's check, blood ran down his face. He looked at it in disbelief.

There was a scream that ricocheted off the city hall walls. Kieran's face quickly scanned the field. His eyes landed on Rai. She was surrounded by Silver Blade members. Her abdomen was bleeding, she had been stabbed. The members were advancing on her. Kieran's thoughts raced.

Quickly, he threw his Kunai. All of them hit a member in the throat. Kieran smirked. Rai leaned her head back on the ground in relief. Her chest was heaving and  blood coated her clothing and the cement ground beneath her. Kieran started running towards her. His arm outstretched as he closed the distance between them. He was so close to her now.

There was the sound of a Blade slicing through the air. He felt the sword go through his stomach. Jonathan pulled his weapon  back out of his stomach and Kieran was left in shock.He glared at Jonathan from the corner of his eye. Kieran continued to clutch his stomach and shuffle towards Rai, he was determined to bring her to safety. His stomach burned, but he kept going. Rai only in his sights. Jonathan stood over him and smirked. He slightly shook his head in amusement and disappointment. "Kieran, you've gone soft," He ignored Jonathan and kept going. "But I'm surprised you're still going, seems I'm going to have to stop you..."

Jonathan took a deep breath and then let his weapon fall. It sliced right through his left shin. Kieran cried out in pain and tumbled  to the ground. His leg was cut off, but all he did was grit his teeth, push through the pain, and crawl to Rai. She stretched her arm and grabbed Kieran's Kunai that had landed on the ground after it struck a member. Her fingertips grazed the cold bloodied metal. She manoeuvred it closer to her and grasped it in her hand.

"Kieran!" She placed the Kunai on the cement and slid it towards him. It skidded to a stop before him.

He rolled over onto his back and looked up at Jonathan. "I forgive you."

Jonathan looked at him in confusion. Before he could reply, Kieran threw his Kunai and it lodged in his throat. Choking sounds managed to escape his mangled throat. Blood gushed from his sliced neck. His eyes went cold and dead. His body went limp as he crashed to the ground, lifeless. Kieran choked back tears. He didn't deserve to be mourned by him. He crawled over to Rai and held her head up. He peered into her dark eyes.

He scooped her up into his arms. "What are you doing?" She asked.

He weekly smiled. "Carrying you to safety."

"You don't always have to be the hero, you lost your leg for heaven's sake!" She sounded plain worried.

He smirked. "I'm fine," He then added, "But just in case."

He brushed her hair away from her face and leaned forwards. Her eyes widened with shock as she realized what he was doing. His face was close to hers now. Their lips collided. He was kissing her, he was actually kissing her.

Rai drew back quickly and slapped him. "Well, that was delayed reaction," Kieran said as he smirked. He took this as a win.

She drew back sheepishly. "Yeah, well I'm dying."

He smiled and slowly stood up. He wavered and somehow managed to find his balance. Rai wrapped her arm around him. Kieran began to hop towards the entryway of the city hall. Aki quickly appeared before them. His animax made him so quick it almost seemed like he appeared out of thin air. Aki eyed Kieran from head to toe, lost leg and everything. Aki took Rai into his arms, simultaneously glaring at him. Kieran plopped down to the ground, chest heaving. It was certainly a workout. As he looked Kieran over, Aki nodded in approval.