Chapter 19

Forest stared up into Damon's face with fear, although his face didn't show it. To Damon he looked simply outraged. He reached up towards Damon in an effort to snag the dagger back.

    Damon jerked the dagger back, just out of his reach. "Nu-uh." He wagged his finger at him, as if scolding a child, then he nodded at the cloaked figure beside him.

Forest felt useless. He'd fought this man many times before and yet here he was, being bested by him yet again. It pissed Forest off. This was the man that had innocently raised him, but he was also same man that had killed his parents.

    Damon turned away, and the cloaked figure advanced on him. He gritted his teeth and watched as he walked away. Why wasn't he fighting him himself? Coward, he thought. He was letting others do his dirty work.

A wicked and cruel smile poked through the darkness that came from the hood. The figure lifted their foot and stepped on Forest's wrist, hard. He heard a snap, then he let out a scream. His face went pale and he felt sick, then the figure took out a small knife and threw it down to the ground.

    It plunged into his hand. "Be a good boy and stay put." The figure sneered and then they turned and walked away.

    Forest seen Melody fighting off in the distance. He struggled to keep his consciousness as his hand bled and his wrist throbbed.

    "Melody-" She stopped fighting and looked over at him.

    Her face was contorted with worry, beads of sweat were dotted on her forehead. He couldn't hear a word she said as she bent down next to him and  cast a gaze over him. She said something into her communication bracelet, something he couldn't hear.  She then leaned over to his hand and pulled the knife out of his hand, blood coated the knife. His hand seared with pain. That was the last thing he saw as his vision was engulfed with darkness.

    Melody set down the knife and looked at Forest's body

    Melody set down the knife and looked at Forest's body. She weakly smiled, choking back tears, then she pat his hair and stood up to rejoin the fight. She knew he would be alright, it was just a stab wound after all. At least that's what she kept telling herself. The truth was that she didn't know what she would do without him. He had helped her so much these past few days and, although she hadn't shown it much, she really appreciated his help.

    She suddenly became outraged, she would make them pay. She marched back into the chaos, a dark expression on her face. A cloaked figure stood in her way. She looked them up and down. The figure then held up their hand, their inner wrist showing a small ghost. Melody's head began to throb. She gritted her teeth as her vision began to falter, flickering between a vision of something, she couldn't tell what, and reality. All she knew was that it frightened her, and the figure before her. 

    She pressed on, advancing on the figure. Melody's visions returned to normal, her heart rate steadied, her head stopped throbbing. The figure lowered their hand slowly in confusion, then they brought their shaking hands up to their head. "Y-your fear is already happening..." They glanced around the room, trying to find the source that caused their power to malfunction.

    Melody gritted her teeth. Forest's unconscious body came to her mind, she nodded. "So, that's my fear, good to know."

    She swung her axe, cutting the figure's arm. They recoiled and gingerly touched where her axe had cut. Their hand had blood on it, they stared at their hand in disbelief. Melody pushed on, leaving the shocked figure behind. Member after member got in her way. Some of their animaxs slowed her down for a bit, before she regained control and ultimately defeated them. The figures got a few hits on her too. Her cheek had a clean cut that was bleeding, her leg and side also had a bleeding cut.

    She stood in the middle of the room. Her chest heaved, her breaths coming out in pants. She cast a glance around the room, both Wyatt and Jack had their arms full with cloaked figures. She began to wonder if backup was ever going to come.

    Melody was surrounded, a complete circle of cloaked figures blocked every way out. She began to wonder how many members they had. She didn't like her estimate. Her only option was to fight, and the numbers were not on her side. 

    She started off strong by taking a few figures down with her, but then she was bombarded, she couldn't keep up. She was buried under all the cloaked figures. She struggled to get them off of her, but it was no use. She came to terms with the fact that this might be the end for her. She craned her neck to get one last look at Forest. Then the figures were suddenly standing over her, one had raised their foot with a malicious smile on their face. She glared at the figure before her and then spat on them. The figure's expression seemed to darken, she gave a smug smile. She had certainly angered them.

    The entrance doors burst open, and Melody recognized some of the Guardians and other members of the accelerated program. The figures all looked over towards the entrance.

Melody yelled towards the group, "About time!"

    Melody thrust her axe at the figure standing over her, the figure fell backwards and lay unconscious on the ground.  She stood up and then yanked her axe out of the figure's body.

    The newcomers dispersed themselves amongst the crowd of figures.

    Jack yelled over the fighting, "Careful, they got animaxs!"

    More and more figures fell, soon the members began to collect their fallen and retreat. The Guardians tried to capture them, but they only managed to capture one. The captured figure seemed to be taller than most of the others.

    Jack had pointed out where the pedestrians were and a few Guardians went in after them. Two Guardians cartered the tall figure out of the bank.  Melody stood and watched as the Guardians busied themselves, she couldn't help but feel useless. She looked down at her bloody axe and she suddenly felt guilty as well.

    "Hey." She turned at the sound of the voice, and was met with the sight of Wyatt and Jack. Wyatt looked concerned as he asked her, "You ok?"

    Melody nodded in response. "Yeah, but what about you guys? You look a little beat up." She craned her neck to get a better look at all of their cuts.

    Wyatt shrugged. "Just a few scrapes, definitely not as bad as Forest over there." He pointed his thumb in the direction of Forest's unconscious body.

    Melody silently nodded, then looked over at Forest. A few people were bent over him, checking his vitals. She watched with a downcast look as he was carried way.