Chapter 42

Forest stormed towards Mr. Marcus. "Why didn't you tell me?!" His face contorted with many different emotions, rage, confusion. His clothes were soiled with dirt and sweat. Dried blood coated him and his weapon.

Forest marched towards Mr. Marcus, just as he pulled his sword out of a member's abdomen. He didn't pay any attention to the body as it fell to the ground. His face was filled with determination, mixed with multiple other emotions. He was confused and angry. Why didn't anyone tell him his dad was still alive? He was sick of everyone keeping things from him.

Mr. Marcus saw Forest approaching from the corner of his eye. He turned to fully face him. A single strand of black hair grazed his forehead. Although he looked very exhausted and his hair a mess, his face brightened as Forest neared him. The sight of it made his blood boil. How could he be happy at a time like this? The death. The deception and secrets. Although, he knew that Mr. Marcus was only putting up an encouraging front for his student.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He said again as he stopped before Mr. Marcus, his brow drawn together.

Mr. Marcus's smile faltered, but hints of it still remained in his cool grey eyes. Hopeful. He hesitated before he responded, carefully contemplating his response. "What do you mean?"

His face remained neutral, but Forest had the suspicion that he was feigning ignorance. "You're-" he started, but abruptly stopped himself. A wave of sadness washed over him as he calmed down. "You never told me you were my dad..." His eyes were dry, his face neutral, but the way he spoke said otherwise. The waver of the tone of his voice, holding back the rush of emotions.

Mr. Marcus looked at him with sympathy and guilt. His eyes watered. "I'm sorry. I-I didn't know how to tell you."

The two fell into a hug. Forest was glad to finally have the comfort of a parent. He wrapped his arms around Marcus. Tears fell from Forest's eyes and stained his shirt. He couldn't tell if these were tears of joy.

Mr. Marcus held onto his son tightly as if Forest would be ripped from him again. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the moment, a complacent smile on the corner of his lips as silent tears streaked his cheeks. He stepped back and peered into Forest's face. His lips quivered, but pride shined in his eyes.

Herb jogged towards the pair, his chest heaving to steady his breathing. He slowed before them. "Silver," he deeply inhaled, "Blades..." He managed to say in between breaths. He looked up into the sky in pain and grabbed his side.

"What?! What about the Silver Blades?!" Marcus asked in fear. His face contorted with anxiety. He looked at Herb hunched over, desperately awaiting him to finnish. In that moment the battlefield seemed to stand still. A shriek echoed off city hall and the empty pavement.

They all turned their heads towards the sound. Underneath the clock on city hall, stood Master, Melody in his grip.

Forest gritted his teeth, and muttered, "Maser," beneath his breath.

Herb nodded and loosely waved his hand in the air. "Yeah," another shape inhale, "That guy."

Forest's focus remained on the tall cloaked figure of Master. His eyes calculating as he took in the sight of Melody as a hostage. She didn't look afraid, more annoyed than anything. Her arms were crossed, and her expression unchanging. She must've screamed because she was startled, or to get their attention.

"What are you going to do?" Marcus asked, looking at the back of Forest's head.

He didn't turn around to answer and simply replied, "I don't know."

Many Silver Blade members were crowded behind the city hall, ready to attack. Two members stood beside Master. "Come and get her, Forest."

Forest's shoulders slumped as he let out a long sigh. He shook his head in disappointment, as if this were all a hassle. He made his way towards him anyways. He stopped a few paces before the man. Master shoved Melody out of his grip and towards one of the masked members beside him.