Chapter 31

Melody shivered. Her back was against the metal side of the truck and the cold seeped into her skin. Her eyes filled with the vibrant colours of fall as they drove through the woods, there was very few green left on the leaves. She took in a shuddering breath. She was worried about their plan. They needed to escape as soon as they arrived, but there was a lot that could go wrong.

Melody looked down at her hands in her lap, they were still bound together. She then looked up at Wyatt, who was silently watching the colourful trees go by. It felt like forever since they were first taken. Although she knew it had only been a few days, weeks if even. Melody's glance shifted towards the man that guarded them. As he sat in the back of the truck, Melody noticed the detailed rose tattoo on the hand that held a weapon. She knew she recognized the tattoo from somewhere...

Then she remembered their first mission and the crazy man with the same tattoo. As images churned in her head, she realized that Aki was the crazy man they had fought. He definitely hadn't changed since then.

"Shit." She muttered under her breath. These people were way more messed up than they thought. They were in way worse of a situation than she first assumed.

Wyatt casually glanced at her. He was worried and curious, but he knew he couldn't say anything with the man watching.

Soon the landscape had shifted. A wheat field spanned her vision to the left, while a small red house had popped up on the right. Melody's heart began to race as they entered the small town. The roaring engine of the truck had drawn a crowd. She swore in her mind, surely the crowd would make it harder to escape. Wyatt and Melody exchanged nervous looks.

The pickup truck doors slammed shut and the trunk creaked open. Wyatt and Melody slowly jumped down out of the back, supervised by men. The man that watched them was the last to climb out.

Melody couldn't see an opening, they were surrounded. The men lead them around to the front of the truck where they were met with a mass crowd of townspeople. As they walked, she leaned in to whisper to Wyatt, "This is bad, Aki is the one we fought during our first mission."

Wyatt's eyebrow quirked with realizations and slight fear. He whispered back, "Plus not to mention all these people." His eyes scanned the crowd, deep in thought.

Aki slightly stepped forward and they stopped talking. Aki's face was contorted with anger and determination. "Where's Rai?"

His eyes scanned the crowd. Murmurs ricocheted throughout the people. Looks of confusion, happiness and recognition formed on the townspeople's faces. Melody heard whispers, such as, "Where did he go?!" And "Is it really him?!" These people definitely knew Aki. He probably cared about them too, but he was too concerned with Rai's well-being to busy himself with reunions.

There was a ripple through the crowd, as they slowly shuffled out of someone's way. Melody watched as Forest made his way through the crowd. Her eyes widened and her heartbeat raced. He was alive. Melody quickly untied the ropes that bound her wrists. She heard muffled yelling coming from the men behind her. She felt the confused looks of the townspeople, but she paid them no attention. Her eyes were glued to his face as she heard weapons being drawn.

Her fingertips brushed against his warm skin. Their hands entwined. They stood so close to each other now that she could feel his chest heaving. She leaned closer into him and he did the same. His lips clung onto hers. He kissed her and she kissed him back. She leaned into him and he wrapped his arms around her, protecting her. She wished the moment would last forever.  She wished that his lips could warm her once more before she drew back and deeply inhaled.

Everything seemed to be going in slow motion as she watched Forest's features deepen with concern. She patted her stomach and her face became pale as she looked at her blood coated hand. Forest reached out towards her, trying to pull her into his protection. She felt an arm grab her from behind. She was pulled away from Forest and back towards the men.